Trans Brakes?

Started by Daveyboy, August 17, 2006, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

That picture of the Jeep is good example of how hard a car will launch off of a transbrake and a two step. And ya better have a GOOD torque converter,drive shaft,u-joints and rearend with a trans brake!! If you don't......you WILL find the weak link.

The first time he cut it loose he didn't have wheelie bars on it and came close to going right on over. He ran it off and on that year and didn't break.  Runs a Ford 9" with 4.56 gears and is still 4wd
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Our race team's  Corvette a few weeks back launched off the trans brake......Sears Point ( Infineon raceway)   the throttle stop did not cycle 'on'. The Corvette stood up high enough the battery shut off hit the asphalt & shut the power off.

The car is in the shop in El Paso getting repaired .....bent chassis , oil pan & other items,so I heard.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

SKR8PN, thanks for the good description of what the trans brake and 2 step are and how they work.  I've been out of racing for a bunch of years, and have heard these terms in recent years, and never knew what they were exactly.

Your post clears it up for me, and for others, I bet.

Don

Back when I ran, a line-lock was high tech. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

tomslik

QuoteA line lock is used ONLY when you do a burnout. They will let the front tires push thru the beams if you are trying to stage at a higher rpm.

well, not always.
if you're running a manual trans, they keep you from rolling out of the beams....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Jim...Looks like you're having fun this Summer  :D
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

SKR8PN

Quote from: "tomslik"
QuoteA line lock is used ONLY when you do a burnout. They will let the front tires push thru the beams if you are trying to stage at a higher rpm.

well, not always.
if you're running a manual trans, they keep you from rolling out of the beams....

True dat,but..........ya GOTTA make sure you RELEASE the darn thing when ya stab the throttle. DAMHIK :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "40"Jim...Looks like you're having fun this Summer  :D

Does the word "YEEEHAAAA" explain it clearly enough? :lol:  :lol:

Dave

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Hows your junk runnin  :?:
good seeing you out here.........
Dave :P  :P

SKR8PN

Quote from: "N8DC":lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Hows your junk runnin  :?:
good seeing you out here.........
Dave :P  :P

Best lick so far,has been 9.52 @ 139.98 MPH.....in street trim! :shock:
2700lbs.......all steel...REAL window glass.... D.O.T. tires......POWER WINDOWS....and MUFFLERS  :shock:  :shock:

This is with a 20+ year old tune up. :shock:
I really need to start "tweaking it" a little bit, and see what it will really do   :lol:  :lol: