Shift Indicator wiring

Started by timkins, April 10, 2006, 06:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

While I was on vacation in St Louis last week I bought a "Rodstuff" Shift Indicator Switch from Old Dog Street Rods and I specifically asked if it was compatible with any brand of indicator light and was assured that it was. GUESS WHAT?? The wiring from the old indicator has eight wires and is powered thru the indicator module on the trans. The one I got from Rodstuff has only 6 wires and now none of the indicator lights to show which gear I am in works. How do I retrofit my indicator light to work or do I need to purchase the lights from Rodstuff??

timkins

Just a follow up to my original question. I e-mailed Gary Schantzen at RODSTUFF and asked him about the wiring. He must have been sitting at the computer as he e-mailed me right back and made some suggestions. He then called me at my home the next day and explained how to rewire the indicator lights so they would work. This is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE. I am not shy about complaining about poor customer relations therefore I have to praise Gary and the company RODSTUFF for their positive reply. Oh by the way, the answer to my predicament was to wire all of the positive indicator light to a central power lead and then use the ground wire connected to the 6 wires coming from the transmission. That way the shift indicator module makes the connection and light the appropriate light on the dash. Again thanks to GARY SCHANTZEN from RODSTUFF.

enjenjo

Makes sense. I have no experence with the indicator lights, so could make no suggestion, but switching grounds is something we can use for a lot of applications, and don't often think of it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Brootal

I figure if it's revving too high, shift up a gear. Too low, go the other way.

If you find you're not getting any closer to where you want to be, you're probably in reverse!

If there's a lot of noise but not much action, then you're probably in Park.

Much easier than trying to figure out electrickery! ;)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com