brake problem (motocycle)

Started by 48ford, April 02, 2006, 06:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

i now have a problem with my bikes brakes. She is a honda 1100,with two disc on the front.
The calipers will not retract from the disc.I rebuilt both of them but it is still broke.Now if I get the caliper off the bike(brass hammer),you still cant push the pistons back,but crack the line and it slids back. flushed all the lines,ect. looks like all thats not rebuilt is the master cylinder,but what could be stopping the fluid from going back to the master?
When it hangs up you can't move the brak lever.
can anyone give me any ideas?
Russ&Irene

tomslik

Quote from: "48ford"i now have a problem with my bikes brakes. She is a honda 1100,with two disc on the front.
The calipers will not retract from the disc.I rebuilt both of them but it is still broke.Now if I get the caliper off the bike(brass hammer),you still cant push the pistons back,but crack the line and it slids back. flushed all the lines,ect. looks like all thats not rebuilt is the master cylinder,but what could be stopping the fluid from going back to the master?
When it hangs up you can't move the brak lever.
can anyone give me any ideas?
Russ&Irene

crack the line loose at the m/c and see if you can push the pistons back.
if so, you've got a problem with the m/c or the lever adjustment (if there IS one).
same stuff apllies to cars.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

as the t-slik says.... check the m/c .

I adjusted a m/c rod up too tight on a 66 chevelle with 4 wheeel drum brakes . I was 19 at the time.

I got a call from the shopping center for help with a car that would not move from stuck brakes. :oops:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Or, check any brake hoses.  If they are old, they can deteriorate inside and act as a check valve.  Had that happen on a 46 Ford PU.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

48ford

I could not push the pistons back so I cracked the line at the master and the pistons slid back in the calipers,So I ordered a rebuild kit.
Thanks guys.
Russ

C9

QuoteSo I ordered a rebuild kit.
Thanks guys.

Aren't you going to end up in the same place if you rebuild the M/C?

The inability to move the brake lever is telling you that you need some play in the lever just as you do with an auto M/C and brake pedal.

It looks like the hole that allows fluid back into the cylinder when the brakes are released is being masked by the position of the piston.

That indicates to me that the lever adjustment is way too tight.
Back it off till there's some mechanical play at the lever and I'll bet the calipers come back just fine.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

48ford

Quote from: "C9"
QuoteSo I ordered a rebuild kit.
Thanks guys.

Aren't you going to end up in the same place if you rebuild the M/C?

The inability to move the brake lever is telling you that you need some play in the lever just as you do with an auto M/C and brake pedal.

It looks like the hole that allows fluid back into the cylinder when the brakes are released is being masked by the position of the piston.

That indicates to me that the lever adjustment is way too tight.
Back it off till there's some mechanical play at the lever and I'll bet the calipers come back just fine.

Thanks C9,
Let me start over ,I had this problem,i rebuilt the calipers.Bike ran nice,had good lever action,as soon as the brakes start to heat up a little ,the pistons will not retract,and the brake lever got hard. Now when I cracked the line i can push the pistons back in easy. but I will try to back off on the lever on tuesday.
I don't know whats wrong so I will try anything,and let everyone know what I find out.
thanks for the help.
Russ  :(

kb426

Make sure you have air space in the resevoir. If you have filled it too full, there's no place for the fluid to go when the pistons need to retract.
TEAM SMART