Convertible Top

Started by Leon, March 26, 2006, 09:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I dove in with both feet and started to replace the top on the Torino this weekend.  The previous top was installed wrong and the installer stripped out most threads, installed things upside-down, or just left stuff out.  I've got all the threads repaired, new tack strips, painted up the frame, and made new listing retainers.  If everything goes right I'll start putting the new top on in the morning.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Your a better man then me. :lol:   It's been 4 1/2 years and I still haven't tackled my top yet.  Say, did you get the actual top from LaBaron LaBontey (sp?) by any chance??

Good luck and please fill us in on how it went.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Leon

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Your a better man then me. :lol:
I think you've got the wrong equipment :lol:

QuoteSay, did you get the actual top from LaBaron LaBontey (sp?) by any chance??

Good luck and please fill us in on how it went.
Got the top from http://www.keeautotop.com/ was on sale at JC Whitney.  So far most of the work has been fabricating parts that the last installer left off or broke.  I just started putting the new side pads on today, so far it's going on smooth.  The real test comes tomorrow when I start to attach the top to the rear tack strips and get it so it isn't wrinkled.  I have till Saturday to get it right for a local car show then on to Redding where I'm sure we will catch rain and/or snow on the way.

entodad

I have had the same happen to me.
I had a shop put on a top for me on my 1967 camaro convertible back in the late 1980's, I thought that it was too difficult for me to tackle.
the guy had some problems with the front bow and told me that he had made a couple of "repairs" and also custom stitched a boot for the car as well.  I received the car later to discover that his repair was a couple of pop rivits to hold a scrap of metal in place that were clearly visible through the top (5 minutes with a gas welder fixed the problem when I replaced the top myself a few years ago) and then that custom boot....I like to have cried when I discovered that he had ruined a difficult to find trim by screwing snaps every 6 inches into it.  (I had searched for close to a year to find one that hadn't had those gastly snaps installed and paid over $100 (1987 dollars) for it.

When I did the top myself, I found that it was not as difficult as I had thought it to be, but it took me several days, since I was being extra careful to get everything squared and smoothed before any permanemt attachments were made.

Ragtops forever!
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

58 Yeoman

When a friend of mine installed the top on his 54 Skylark, he didn't latch the top when he installed it.  When he did latch the top, it was nice and taut.  I guess that'd be the normal way to install it?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "entodad"I like to have cried when I discovered that he had ruined a difficult to find trim by screwing snaps every 6 inches into it.  (I had searched for close to a year to find one that hadn't had those gastly snaps installed and paid over $100 (1987 dollars) for it.

Ragtops forever!
Doug

I know EXACTLY the trim pieces you are referring to.  The bottom edge of the original boot actually is suppose to have these thin plastic pieces that gently slide UNDER that trim piece to hold the boot edge down around the car.  I had a '68 Camaro and a '69 Firebird, both converts, that had that sought after trim on it.  Weekly I would get asked by guys to sell it to them........like I didn't know what I had.   You didn't use to live in the Detroit area by any chance did you????? :wink:  :lol:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

entodad

Nope,
I have yet to even be in Detroit, though I did fly over it once....

I am a southern boy. Who will someday actually finish a project....I hope

To quote the great Red Green

I'm a man....I can change....If I have to....I guess

Doug

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"
Quote from: "entodad"I like to have cried when I discovered that he had ruined a difficult to find trim by screwing snaps every 6 inches into it.  (I had searched for close to a year to find one that hadn't had those gastly snaps installed and paid over $100 (1987 dollars) for it.

Ragtops forever!
Doug

I know EXACTLY the trim pieces you are referring to.  The bottom edge of the original boot actually is suppose to have these thin plastic pieces that gently slide UNDER that trim piece to hold the boot edge down around the car.  I had a '68 Camaro and a '69 Firebird, both converts, that had that sought after trim on it.  Weekly I would get asked by guys to sell it to them........like I didn't know what I had.   You didn't use to live in the Detroit area by any chance did you????? :wink:  :lol:
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Leon

Got the top on today, had to call the manufacturer to make sure I had the right top.  It's about 3" short up front, they said to put it on and stretch it.  Right now the top won't go up all the way, I have to get it under the shop's heater tomorrow after the adhesives all set real good to see if I can stretch it into shape.  I don't think I'll be doing one again for quite a while!  I'm about ready to put that car up for sale anyway, put the money from it into the Packrod and the 54 wagon....

river1

Quote from: "Leon"It's about 3" short up front, ...
:shock:  :shock:  :oops:  :oops:
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

parklane

Sorry bout your luck, but if it's any consolation, you prolly ain't the only one :shock:  :lol:

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

junkyardjeff

In the 20 years I have been installing convertible tops I have put on many from JC Whitney and I had problems with most as I think they are seconds or tops rejected by trim shops,the tops I had the most problems with were made by Crown here in Ohio which JC sold too.  Some tops were made years ago making getting the wrinkles out difficult without a steamer,I would recommend buying a top from a local trim shop or just letting them supply a top and install as I have repaire or replaced many owner installed tops and they were not pretty.  Jeff

Leon

It warmed up a little today and the sun was out so I pulled the car out of the shop and let it sit in the sun for a while.  I now have the top latched, and it has one small wrinkle toward the back.  It's a little snug but not bad, and after I finish up reinstalling the weatherstipping it should look pretty good.  If I had someone else install it and they gave it back to me looking the way it does I don't think I would complain.  Still it was quite a job to install it and I don't think I'd look at doing another one soon, but I don't own any other convertibles so I don't think I'll have to worry about it.  
About it being a JC Whitney item, I ordered from them but it came shipped directly from Kee.  The 3" that it was short seems to have stretched so everything lines up where it should be.