Hoon laws- have your say!

Started by doco maker, March 23, 2006, 05:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you been effected by hoon laws? How?

Are hoon laws a good thing or bad thing?
1 (100%)
What do you think of hoon laws?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: March 23, 2006, 05:55:40 AM

enjenjo

QuoteGot me wondering when the 'Bogans' will arrive

Too late, they're here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "doco maker"Excuse my ignorance, then, but is this a largely American site? I can imagine their might be some similar laws here even if the wording's a bit different.

Thanks for your comments!
B

Actually yes this is a largely US based audience.
Are you insinuating that mpst Americann Rodders are 'large'?     :shock:

QuoteAussies only comprise about 5% of the viewers of this site.
Whilst the Aussies are just hoons?   :D

Got me wondering when the 'Bogans' will arrive.

difine "large"....

Bogan's heros?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

TJ's Dad

Quote from: "doco maker"Excuse my ignorance, then, but is this a largely American site? I can imagine their might be some similar laws here even if the wording's a bit different.

Thanks for your comments!
B

Actually yes this is a largely US based audience. Something in the range of 80%. Aussies only comprise about 5% of the viewers of this site.

That leaves 15% from elsewhere ..... 0.5% from Tasmania = 1% cos they have 2 heads (rx4ord being a prime example  :lol: )

Now where'd the other 14% get to ??

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

ripper

doco maker - the website links unleian has on his signature are metalshapers etc...that's a part of his signature, not a referral to an Aussie site. I'd suggest you try  ozrodders.com

For those unsure, I'm from Western Australia and yes we have "Hoon Laws" or the sustained loss of traction legislation or whatever it was called. Basically if you're street racer & get caught you lose your car for 24 or 48 hours...I think if you're a repeat offender you can lose it period & it goes to auction but dunno for sure.

My view...Street Racing is NOT Drag Racing. Yep we've all done a bit of reckless & dangerous driving on the public road probably, but if thegovernment want to stamp it out, they get no resistance from me. We have one ape brain in a lowered nissan 2 door who's carved out street twice. I suggest if he does it a thrid time he might want to pray the cops catch him. He doesn't live in our street, but there's plenty of kids under 10 who do.
You can get busted for burnouts & chirping the tyres I'm told...well if you're laying rubber, take the hit if you get busted.

I drive a modified car but I am a believer in "If you're not cruising, you're losing"
If some hoon wants to unleash the ponys under the hoon on the public road in some sort of seelf satisfying display of rebel without a clue...well won't worry me if he gets busted. Seen a few big cruises get unfair atention from authorities thanks to one or two idiots who who got a little too excited. In one case the cruise had to fold up.

Hoons prolly represent 1% of 1% of the driving population, so really the hoon laws don't affect very many people at all. If you wanna go drifitng, go to the track. Wanna go racing, go to the track, wanna lose you car go crazy on the street.
Bit like the hoo-haa about multi nova speed cameras...it's a managed revenue stream, otherwise the fines would be 1000 bucks for slightly speeing...everyone would stop asap. It's a tax, but it's a purely voluntary tax. Don't speed you don't need to worry.
I would hope any doco maker wanting to film the topic will also talk to cops & ambulance drivers, especially those who've attended road fatalities, maybe also some families who've lost someone thanks to a hoon drifting in the street.

Myabe I'm just getting older & turning into a fuddy duddy old fart, but when you seen a bit of blood & gore and you have the old * caning up your street & you have small kids, perspective becomes very clear. :-)

I love high performance cars, like big & noisey...hoon laws might sort out the low performance drivers.

Post meant to be read as a positive post :-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tomslik

i totally agree with ya ripper BUT! how is it different than ol' big * in his 4 wheel drive dodge  1 ton pu on the cell phone and trying to find an address and  eat all at the same time?
there's more of those.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ripper

yep I agree tomslik, here tho, they don't have to have a big 4WD...cell phones are legal here, using them while driving is not. But wow do you see a lot of it here!

Whats the difference between a young yap laying rubber & a nit on their phone, trying to drive, trying to eat etc...not much at all seeing both have a pretty good chance of having an accident. Rather both have an elevate chance of hitting & hurting other people...the hoons tho are far more visible to the public due to the noise etc, but yeah they may not even be in the higher numbers. I'd guess the dial-a-* drivers driving & phoning at the same time would be in much bigger numbers.

In either case it seems dangerous and dunno how it can be defended. Thing is too, there are degrees of danger, chirping the tyres at the lights aren't a real problem or a danger...but drifting is. Where do you draw the line?
At chirping I guess :-)
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!

Fat Cat

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Now where'd the other 14% get to ??

The other 15% are made up by the following countries,

Canada, European Union, Sweden ,Great Britain, Netherlands, France, Finland, China, Germany, South Africa, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Switzerland, Mexico, India, Ukraine, Denmark, Philippines, Romania, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Belgium, Thailand, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Puerto Rico, Japan, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Malta, Austria, Turkey, Spain, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Israel, Taiwan, Kuwait, Italy, Poland, Colombia, Guam (USA), Indonesia, Peru, Czech Republic, Croatia, Vietnam, Estonia, Russian Federation, Malaysia, Bahamas, Egypt, Lithuania, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Ecuador, Palestinian Territories, Greece, Malawi, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Nigeria, Latvia, Qatar, Uruguay, Barbados, and Ireland

EMSjunkie

As an EMS provider, I can attest to the fact that there are more accidents involving "seasoned" drivers than there are involving "inexperienced" ones.

I have personally worked accidents where more than one person was injured due to " cranial rectumitis".  :x

Ladies putting on makeup while they drive, the yuppie puppies drinking a latte while speed dialing his stock broker, etc.

people don't realize how far a vehicle, even at slower speeds, can travel in just a few seconds.  :shock:

as we age, our reaction times slow down, and when you add distractions such as cell phones, PDA's etc. the problem just compounds itself.
we live in a fast-paced world, and some folks can't handle "multi-tasking" while they drive.

but, on the bright side..............its job security  :!:  :!:

call them what you will.....hoons, ruffians,hoodlums, whatever, it sounds like another unenforceable law.
Here in Amarillo, we have a noise ordinance, specifically aimed at Harley-Davidson riders with straight pipes.  :twisted:
after certain hours, if you get caught "barking" the pipes, you get a ticket.............whatever :roll: :roll:  ............the local law enforcement has enough to do without writing tickets for being too noisy  

sorry, got on a soap box there for a minute.

bottom line...............you can't fix stupidity.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Carps

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Now where'd the other 14% get to ??

The other 15% are made up by the following countries,

Canada, European Union, Sweden ,Great Britain, Netherlands, France, Finland, China, Germany, South Africa, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Switzerland, Mexico, India, Ukraine, Denmark, Philippines, Romania, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Belgium, Thailand, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Puerto Rico, Japan, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Malta, Austria, Turkey, Spain, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Israel, Taiwan, Kuwait, Italy, Poland, Colombia, Guam (USA), Indonesia, Peru, Czech Republic, Croatia, Vietnam, Estonia, Russian Federation, Malaysia, Bahamas, Egypt, Lithuania, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Ecuador, Palestinian Territories, Greece, Malawi, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Nigeria, Latvia, Qatar, Uruguay, Barbados, and Ireland

Notice there's nobody from Sierra Leone, coz they are not home, all hiding out somewhere in Sydney.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "phat46"hmmm, never been called a hoon, but it'd make a great liscence plate!!! :roll:
Actually, there was a huge fuss over here a couple of years back, the premier of Victoria at the time had a son who just happened to have that very number plate, and wore it proudly. :shock:  Some upper class morons tried to have the plate withdrawn but didnt succeed. :D
As for being called a hoon, thats hapened plenty of times, problem is some of the public will label anyone in a modified car a hoon whether you are doing something wrong or not.
If you are being foolish behind the wheel you probably deserve to be hit hard by the law. I noticed that there has been alot of rubber painted on the road near my place recently, much of it is circle work too. I just hope I dont get the blame for it all :evil: .
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "unklian"Maybe someone can post a link to the Aussie forum ?
Sure can, this would be the largest board for Aussie hotrodders without a doubt.
http://www.ozrodders.com/board
But you wont find too many "hoons" there, however you'll still get a lot of material to work with though.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Rayvyn

Actually yes this is a largely US based audience. Something in the range of 80%. Aussies only comprise about 5% of the viewers of this site.

Is that because only 5% of them can read or write?  Actually "Hoon" is short for "Hooligan", except none of the Aussies could spell the entire word, so it was shortened to make it easy for them....

Oh Oh. I hear a mob coming...Better run... :0-0
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

bucketmouth

I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.