MSD box question

Started by speedracer, March 26, 2006, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Shoot I should have included this question with the wiring question, anyway I ordered a MSD distributor rebuild kit and a MSD box to give it alittle more boost in spark but I've never put one on before the question is there anything I should know before I engage in this?  The ignition is the chevy hei type and thats what I ordered (box and dist kit) any suggestions or advice!!  Thanks again, johnny

Leon

Make sure the big red and black wires go direct to the battery.  Most problems I've seen with MSD boxes are when they don't have a good ground.  Since you won't be using the white wire with that distributor, you can hook it to a hidden switch and when you ground it the car will not start.  An easy theft deterent.

speedracer

Quote from: "Leon"Make sure the big red and black wires go direct to the battery.  Most problems I've seen with MSD boxes are when they don't have a good ground.  Since you won't be using the white wire with that distributor, you can hook it to a hidden switch and when you ground it the car will not start.  An easy theft deterent.
Hey thanks Leon, I've never used or seen one used.  They say it should improve the proformance of the engine.  I sure hope they send good instructions.  I would guess it connects to battery and distributor, correct??
Thanks, johnny

Dirk35

I use the MSD 6A on my 35, with the Blaster coil, and Small Diamater Distributor.

Read the directions (itll give about 10 different ways to hook it up) and choose the one that belongs to your situation.

Hook the little red wire to a source that provides power not only when the switch is ON, but also when in the "Start" position too.