Progress report on the new truck

Started by phat rat, April 01, 2006, 11:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

picked up this frame for Project Low Buck to be known as PLB had the x all chopped up from a previous life. So after a couple of days cutting, fitting and welding this is what it looks like now. It's sitting on sawhorses so the wood you see near the back is the bottom bracing of the sawhorse. Also a pic of the door handles and window cranks I made
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

donsrods

Looks like you're starting to make progress. I like the way you did the crossmembers, it will leave a lot of room for your tranny and stuff. Nice handles, too.

Don

moparrodder

The frame is lookin good and I like the handles too , they look like pieces of horse shoes to me. If they are thats a nifty idea and look pretty cool!!  Keep us posted.  

Bill

phat rat

Thanks guys. Yes the handles are made of horse shoes, I've got $5 plus some scrap material invested in the 4 of them. The originals were missing so it was buy or make new ones. This is similar to the the way we did the x member in my 41, works great. The trans can be pulled without pulling the motor

kb426

Good progress. I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to save my windshield hinges. I think I wasted my time. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ruin them to get them out of the cab. All the pivot pins are rusted solid.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Have you soaked them with PB Blaster with a little heat from a propane torch?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

donsrods

Yep, like Phil said, and so did enjenjo in his post, PB Blaster is great stuff. Has saved me a zillion times. Heat is also a miracle worker.

I've heard about old time mechanics who would soak stuff for weeks, and every day or so, they would rap on the part with a hammer to set up vibrations. Finally, with patience and lots of penetrant, the part would come apart.

Hate to see you ruin a part that might be tough to replace.

Don

GPster

Quote from: "donsrods"I've heard about old time mechanics who would soak stuff for weeks, and every day or so, they would rap on the part with a hammer to set up vibrations. Finally, with patience and lots of penetrant, the part would come apart.Don
I had an old friend that was a mechanic and also a machinist and did repair work and machining on everything from putting steel rims on wood spoked farm equipment wheels to battleship barrels on WWII destroyers. He taught this to his sons and they do it automatically to anything that comes in for repair in the family shop. The first thing that they do after the proper wrench is selected is to lubricate the nut/bolt. Then they try to tighten it a bit. Their movement is to tighten, loosen  always with more force towards tightening before breaking it trying to loosen it They use heat but remember that rust is not as strong as the bolt and that sometimes just movement will break the rust surface enough to get lubricant to flow. Of course they are using sense and feel rather than brute force. GPster

kb426

I've been use Kroil which is about the same as PB Blaster. I used the same stuff on my windshield crank assy. and had no luck. I pulled the assembly out and put it in the rust vat at the engine shop for 3 days. The part was cleaner but the chemical couldn't get into where the pins were. I finally drilled the rivets on the 2 side gears and removed them. In just a little bit I had the main shaft free and everything working good. I'm watching one on ebay this afternoon to see what I would have had to spend had I not been successful. Because we both have 37's, what are good doors worth?
TEAM SMART

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"picked up this frame for Project Low Buck to be known as PLB had the x all chopped up from a previous life. So after a couple of days cutting, fitting and welding this is what it looks like now. It's sitting on sawhorses so the wood you see near the back is the bottom bracing of the sawhorse. Also a pic of the door handles and window cranks I made

Cool deal. Quite original and offbeat. I like it!  Except now your horse is limping... :D

One thing I did in every rod I reworked, was use a beer tap handle on the shifter. My grandfather used to collect them and gave a bunch to me before he passed. I tried to put them to good use.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat rat

Naw that horse will never limp.  I shot him for his shoes it's rough country up here and only the fast and the tough survive. LOL  Depending on what I end up using for a shifter it may have a beer tap handle as I've got one in inventory