got the motor

Started by phat rat, March 21, 2006, 12:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

well I now know what will power this. Just scored a 455 Buick with Th-400
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

What you going to do for speed equipment? Not a lot out there for a 455. Of course with a 455, you don't need much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"What you going to do for speed equipment? Not a lot out there for a 455. Of course with a 455, you don't need much.
All he would need is a pair of "Zoomies"  that go from 3" down to about 2" in 3 foot of length. Have you got good at making them yet? GPster

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"What you going to do for speed equipment? Not a lot out there for a 455. Of course with a 455, you don't need much.

Might put an aluminum intake on it, but that's it. Motor doesn't need rebuilding, only has about 20,000 on a build. With as light as it's going too be I figure it'll push that truck along real fine.

sirstude

500 foot pounds of torque will move most anything!  Sounds like fun.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

donsrods

Great choice !!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Like everyone has said these 455's are torque monsters. Just by slipping it in the lighter truck you have upped performance significantly. And you certainly will be different than 99.9 % of the other rods out there.

This is going to be cool.

Don

PS:  Standard stuff like shift kits, etc should be available for the TH400, too. But with less than 1/2 the weight, a soft shift may be better.

phat rat

Quote from: "donsrods"Great choice !!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Like everyone has said these 455's are torque monsters. Just by slipping it in the lighter truck you have upped performance significantly. And you certainly will be different than 99.9 % of the other rods out there.

This is going to be cool.

Don

PS:  Standard stuff like shift kits, etc should be available for the TH400, too. But with less than 1/2 the weight, a soft shift may be better.

All the Th-400 are the same for shift kits, shifters. I wanted something big like a Cad 500, 454 or the 455 that I got. I wanted an engine that was running not a builder. This is being done on the cheap and I don't want it to get out of hand. As you said the 455 isn't the usual fare for a rod.

donsrods

We like odd engines too. Heres a couple of shots I've posted before of my Kids 455 Olds, tripower. There is no substitute for cubic inches. :D  :D  :D

Don

phat rat

There is no substitute for cubic inches.    

Yep that's why there's a 454 in the cpe. That Olds looks great

Crosley.In.AZ

as weight of the vehicle goes down the stall rating of the converter needs to go up.  If the stock 13 inch converter is used in a light vehicle , your leg will get tired holding the brakes at a red light against a torque monster motor
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

thanks Tony always appreciate input from you.

sirstude

Don,

I like that motor,  that is the direction I started on my Olds.  I had a 455 HP out of a Toronado in there when I started.  A friend talked me into a 454 and that is what I am set up with now.  Still wish I had bit the bullett and stayed with the Olds.  Way to far into this project to start over again, but still tempted.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us