HotRodPurplePickup/ exhaust question

Started by Dirk35, March 13, 2006, 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

George, can you show me picts of how your exhaust is hung on your pick-up? Can you explain it also? I see yours is under your running boards and thus, to the side of the frame rails.

I HAD made provisiones to run my tail pipes on each side of the tranny and it mount by hangers from the cross-members. But after running the brake lines off the under-floor master cylinder, I no longer have room for the driver side.

Im thinking of eventually changing the motor mount brackets to move the engine 1/2 inch to the passenger side. But until then, I must run them under the running boards.

Here is the pic of your truck I am refering to........can you take some more picts of it clean and under there for me?

purplepickup

I'm at work right now but I'm sure I've got some pics at home of the underside that I took with it up on the hoist.   I can't take any new pics right now because he truck is stored in a dessicant bag and I probably won't open it up until we get some constant temperature weather.   I need to keep condensation off of it, especially with salt residue stuck in hidden places.

The mufflers aren't under the running boards.  They do look like it in that picture tho.  They are about 2" under, and hung from, the frame rails  They don't hang down lower than other parts of the car but they're about the same height as the tranny pan.
George

Dirk35

Anyone got pictures of a Muffler hung to the SIDE of a frame rail?

Mine is a 35 Ford PU and I must run them under the running board for now and the running board brackets (I believe) are not stable enough to hold the exhaust until I re-work them.

I might not have a choice, but I am hoping one of you already crossed this bridge and had a very creative answer.

jaybee

Sorry to hijack this thread, but George, do you still have the picture of Purple Pickup just coming off the starting line at the drag strip?  I used that one as desk top wallpaper at times but have lost it.  Along with a picture Brootal took out the windshield of Don D's A on the speedway at a Good Guys event (Pomona?)  it's one of my all-time favorite "action shots".
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

I thought about this last night and this is the only picture I have.  I ran my exhaust pipes along the frame and hung them from the frame.  That's those little pieces of aluminum angle with short exhaust hangers with hose clamps in the pic.  The mufflers are offset inlet and center outlet.  That puts the mufflers mostly under the running boards.  Being offset, they want to twist from the weight of the tailpipes so I put another hanger on the short elbow that exits in front of the tire.   I used one of the  running board to rear fender bolts for that hanger.   The hangers are short and sort of solid but they still have a little flex.   I've used this combination for many years and over 80K miles and nothing has broke yet.  I had a little trouble with a collector flange gasket but never a hanger problem.  

Sorry for the big picture but a smaller one didn't show up very well.

George

river1

Quote from: "jaybee"Along with a picture Brootal took out the windshield of Don D's A on the speedway at a Good Guys event (Pomona?)  it's one of my all-time favorite "action shots".

this one? it is a pic i took with don's camera OF brootal in tex smith's roadster. if you want a larger one i can email it to you. or don might even have a larger one then i have.
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

jaybee

purplepickup

Quote from: "jaybee"Sorry to hijack this thread, but George, do you still have the picture of Purple Pickup just coming off the starting line at the drag strip?
I know which one you mean John.  It was taken in '96 at a United Street Machine car show/drag race at Milan Dragway by Detroit.  The track photographer took that picture and one of me and the 6 foot "Best of Show" trophy I won.  My, how cars have improved since then :wink:    

I can't find the originals she sent me and the only one I can find is this small one.  They've got to be around here somewhere.  If I find it I'll let you know.  I sure hope I didn't lose them.  Those were fun times.  I use the trophy to hang my Bonneville hats on now. :D
George

donsrods

Your suspension seems to have a flaw in it.  I see daylight under the left front tire !!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

58 Yeoman

Probably has a twisted frame...can you 'oil can' a frame? :lol:

Good pic, George.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jaybee

Yeah George, that's the one.  That's a great picture.

Dirk35

Sooooo, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, anyone have any pictures of how to mount a Muffler or Tail-pipe to the side of the from instead of just dangling it below the frame?

How about pictures of how Lake Pipes are mounted? Can soneone share their experiences with this? We can pretend I am running a Lake Pipe and just covering it with a running board.

34ford

Quote from: "Dirk35"Sooooo, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, anyone have any pictures of how to mount a Muffler or Tail-pipe to the side of the from instead of just dangling it below the frame?

How about pictures of how Lake Pipes are mounted? Can soneone share their experiences with this? We can pretend I am running a Lake Pipe and just covering it with a running board.

I got my frame back from the powder coater today and am putting it back together. I have a bracket mounted on the side of the frame and I wil try and post a picture when I get it mounted again. Hopefully tonight.

bob

34ford

I welded a piece of round bar stock on the frame and then bent one in a u shape and welded it onto the muffler. Picked up a rubber hanger before hand so I could set the height.  Mufflers hang below the frame and exit in front of the wheel.

Crosley.In.AZ

34ford has a good setup there.

when building an exhaust system , keep in mind the system grows in length as it heats up.  

The system needs to be able to move forward and backward a bit.

I see many rigid exhaust  hangers that are cracked or broken through.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)