edelbrock proformance package question

Started by speedracer, March 08, 2006, 11:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Has anyone installed the package on a 350 Chevy.  It consists of High proformance aluminum heads, dual plane intake, high lift cam and 750 cfm carb.  They say its gareented to make 410 hp.
I did it on mine, its a 78 block bored .30 over new flat top pistons roller rockers, hooker headers accel high output distribtor, new crank.
The most it dyno is 350 hp, the trannie is a new 700R4 with 4;10 gears.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong.  They promise 410hp plus and all I get is 350hp!  Are they BS'n or am I messed up?
Thanks, johnny

1FATGMC

What kind of dyno?  In a cell or a chassis dyno.  If you dynoed the motor in the car it could easily only be making 350 hp at the wheels.

I do think I remember seeing that combo tested by someone other than Edelbrock and it did make over 400 hp.  Personally I think there might be some other combinations you can buy, where you have to mix and match parts from different sources that can get you over 400 hp with a better torque and hp curve (more streetable), but all in all that has been a good combination that a lot of people are happy with.  It should give you a lot of fun.

c ya, Sum

rumrumm

If you ran it on the chassis dyno, you figure you will lose 20 per cent or so because of the transmission and rear end. 350 hp at  the rear wheels is about right. Now if you ran it on an engine dyno, I would say that you need to adjust the timing and lean out the carburetor as 750 carbs (especially those like mine without an automatic choke) will be too rich and cause you to be down in hp. The first dyno run on my 383 was a disappointing 403 hp, but once the carburetor and timing were dialed in, it made 450 hp.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

hemmigremmie

I hear the Edelbrocks are a good deal.
You must use everything as they list though. HG

rumrumm

There are a lot better cams out there than the Edelbrock models which make most of their peak power at fairly high rpm at the expense of lower rpm torque. Lunati's Voodoo cams are the most advanced design out there right now, and they make more power than CompCams X-treme Energy series.  Edelbrock heads and intake  manifolds are very good, especially their E-Tec heads that have the newer kidney shaped chambers.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com