Transmission leak.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 24, 2004, 02:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles

On the 32 roadster (TH350) there is always a leak at the transmission shift shaft. I replaced the seal twice with no result.

I'm installing  now a TH700 so the problem is solved for my car.

But I plan to resale the TH350 to a friend and I need to fix this problem before. I really don't know how to do, except to replace the seal a third time, certainly with no results!

Grrrr!!!

:cry:  Gilles  :cry:

348tripower

Tony,
     I have a turbo 400 with a leaky shaft seal. Can you give me a seal number for that?
Thanks,
Don :lol:
Don Colliau

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"You must be very careful to avoid cutting the seal as you install it over the shaft area that the linkage bolts onto.  A very sharp edge there.

Tony, do you use any type of protective sleeve or pilot to install the seal, or do you just do it "carefully?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

PeterR

QuoteTony, do you use any type of protective sleeve or pilot to install the seal, or do you just do it "carefully?"

Reminiscent of installing the crankshaft seal behind the flywheel of the old Cooper S

C9

I suspect the aftermarket braided dipstick in my T400 allows too high an oil level.
It leaks where the aluminum dispstick adapter enters the trans as well, but the oil really comes out of there when you nail the engine from say 50 to 80 on a pass.

Or - if the oil level is correct, does the oil get built up in the trans when the engine is wound up to 4000-4500 or so and then push oil out past the dipstick adapter?

When I get some free time I'm going to pull the dipstick adapter and machine it for a second O-ring as well as replace the first one.
When I do that, about where should the oil level be if I measure down from the dipstick boss cast flange area?

I'd use a stock dipstick if I could, but the area it has to run is too tight.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat46

I was moving my truck project around under it's own power, and it was losing trans fluid from the dipstick tube at the trans, I installed a fresh O ring that didn't help at all. I used a standard O ring; is there a special O ring for this? The original one seemed like it was flat in profile, as opposed to the standard round O rings. I thought it was just squashed.
Oh yeah, it's a Ford C-6