54 merc questions

Started by longislandvic, February 27, 2006, 09:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longislandvic

im getting one and want too know what duel master is best and what rear and disc front too use...i know drum is good but only if the guy that stops in front of you has them...its getting a sbf or sbc

donsrods

I think there are some places that sell kits to change your brakes over to later model stuff. Butch's Rod Shop comes to mind, but I think someone said they are no longer around. Hot Rod and Custom supply carries some stuff, like motor mounts, but I am at work and don't have their catalog in front of me to check what else they may have.

I would probably slip in an 8 inch Ford rear axle out of some mid 70's Ford, of appropriate width, some, like the Granada had rear discs. Wheels with the correct backspacing could take care of any difference in track.

As for the front, I am sure there are conversions out there to put later discs on it, and probably dropped spindles to get it lower. These cars look great with just minor customizing, and you don't see them every day. I don't think you would have to do much to get modern stuff under it.  Although I am a Ford man, either the SBF or SBC would tuck in there nicely.

Good luck , and send pictures.

Don

enjenjo

ECI makes a disc brake kit. I have done a couple using AMC Concord rotors, and building my own caliper bracket for GM metric calipers.

You can also adapt Granada rotors, disc brakes and all with an upper ball joint change to the later 60's type ball joint.

A Granada 8" or 9" rear is a good fit, same width, just change the spring perches. E brake cables even fit. Maverick rear will work too, but is 1" narrower overall than the stocker.

SBF fits better than SBC, no need for a dropped tie rod. Use a front sump pan, and early 289 exhaust manifolds if you can find them. If you go with a 351W, you have to use the 289 manifolds, the 351 manifolds won't clear the upper control arm shafts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

paul2748

With Granada components, all you have to do is ream out the lower ball joint hole in the spindle and the 54 joints will fit.  A 75-80 Granda master will fit with no mods (you use the lower two holes only).  If you don't go to power, get the Granada master for non-power brakes.  If you go with disc rear, the Granada master may not work as it is designed for front discs, rear drums.

The Versaille rears have the discs (also very few Mercs and fewer Granadas which used the Versaille rear) but make sure you get a complete rear with all the little brackets and other small parts because you can't buy them aftermarket anymore.  

I think Fatman's makes a kit for the Merc.

donsrods

longislandvic:  Have you considered rebuilding the stock engine, if the car has one?  These Y blocks are actually pretty good engines, and look sweet with trips and some chrome goodies. They have become popular since the rat rod thing.

I know a smf or smc may be a little quicker and easier to get parts for, but the troops would enjoy seeing it dressed out with the 292 or 312, or whatever that year had in it. From what I've seen on ebay, intakes and all are available very reasonably, too.

When I was a kid, a friend had a '54 Ford with a 312 in it, with a blower cam, and trips. He was tearing up a lot of '57 Chevys and the like on Saturday nights.

Don

enjenjo

I built a 54 glass top with a 312 back in 63. I may have a picture of it somewhere.

parklane

A good running 292/312 will blow the doors off the same car with a sbf.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"I built a 54 glass top with a 312 back in 63. I may have a picture of it somewhere.

glass top merc?
got any pics?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I built a 54 glass top with a 312 back in 63. I may have a picture of it somewhere.

glass top merc?
got any pics?

Glass top Ford, White over Canary Yellow. I'll see If I can find the pictures.

That wasn't as fast as the Coupe I built with a 390 in it. :-o