Air bag replacement info

Started by Topsterguy, February 26, 2006, 12:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey All!  I just picked up a really nice 2000 Ranger pickup that had an accident where the air bags deployed, so now I've got to replce the air badgs ( which came with the truck). Anyone know where I can get the info on doing this, or does anyone know how to do it..............without getting an air bag in the face!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

The factory service manual has the proceedure for replacing the bag. You can also get it from AllData online if you are a member. If it's been in an accident, you have to make sure all the sensors and wiring are intact before installing the new bag.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"The factory service manual has the proceedure for replacing the bag. You can also get it from AllData online if you are a member. If it's been in an accident, you have to make sure all the sensors and wiring are intact before installing the new bag.

As I recall the air bag crash sensor is a one time deal like the bag .

Seems like OILER would be able to answer that question  or Glen does work at Ford as a service manager
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

parklane

You have to replace the module, usually under the seat, but not sure on the Ranger. Check egay for the bags. Did both of them go off?? if so the dash pad will need replacing, and of course the windshield.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey All!  I just picked up a really nice 2000 Ranger pickup that had an accident where the air bags deployed, so now I've got to replce the air badgs ( which came with the truck). Anyone know where I can get the info on doing this, or does anyone know how to do it..............without getting an air bag in the face!

I built a late model Toyota recently.  I had to also replace the seat belts.  They are a one timer like the air bags.  I usually take the car to a shop that can check the sensors before I plug in the bags.

Another reason I do not like new cars.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Topsterguy

Great, thanks guys!  This is why when things happen to my daily driver, cuz it's got all this new * on it, it goes to my pal's shop - him and his guys work on all this every day! I thought it might have been a simple fix, but I should've known!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Crosley.In.AZ

I wonder if the cars with the reactive head rests to help avoid whip lash  are a one time deal also???
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

parklane

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey All!  I just picked up a really nice 2000 Ranger pickup that had an accident where the air bags deployed, so now I've got to replce the air badgs ( which came with the truck). Anyone know where I can get the info on doing this, or does anyone know how to do it..............without getting an air bag in the face!

I built a late model Toyota recently.  I had to also replace the seat belts.  They are a one timer like the air bags.  I usually take the car to a shop that can check the sensors before I plug in the bags.

Another reason I do not like new cars.

Don't have to replace belts on full size Fords if bags go off, but not sure on Rangers.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??