Dead battery

Started by speedracer, February 26, 2006, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

OK it was the alternator, so its buy a new one time.  I found one in Jegs for alittle over a hundred bucks and its pretty polished aluminum (100 amps) its also 1 wire too, so looks like thats the one I'll get. I went ahead and bought a battery today (optima red top) at advanced auto price was right too.  I want to thank all you guys for your input!! Man, I learned alot!  Thanks again, johnny

Crosley.In.AZ

good to read you found the problem .

mayb the old one can be repaired for a spare??

Sumner's pages have information on the 1 wire alt
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

speedracer

Thanks Tony, thats exactly what I plan to do.  I did'nt know parts for one was that hard to find, and I don't want to find out like your friend.  Plus the thing is to pretty to get rid of!  johnny

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "speedracer"Thanks Tony, thats exactly what I plan to do.  I did'nt know parts for one was that hard to find, and I don't want to find out like your friend.  Plus the thing is to pretty to get rid of!  johnny

I had a fairly new 1-wire alternator stop charging.

I opened it up to find that excess grease from the rear bearing coated the slip rings, preventing the brushes from making contact.

I cleaned the slip rings and brushes with solvent and scotch-brite and that solved the problem.  .....No parts needed.  

No problem after that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!