Tranny problem in the mini van

Started by 48ford, February 17, 2006, 04:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Help,
Irene has an 01 chrysler minivan that let us down.
The check engine light comes on and its code#740 ,no torque coverter clutch engagement.
so shes driving on the e-way and it starts bucking and rpm goes up like you just poped it out of gear,so I yell drop down a gear,car locks back up and gets us off expressway.(good)
now she stops it and nothing in any gear,no reverse no low nothing,so I get a ride home grab the truck7trailer go to pick it up.now here it is guys. with the motor running i cant move the van,like its in park(it was not)so i shut off the motor and you can push it with one hand.
What is going on here/
We have 125,000 miles on her now.(lot of trips to Texas).
Can anyone help me?
Thanks Russ

SKR8PN

Those tranny's are known for breaking snap rings on the apply pistons.........Get it to a shop,have them check the CVI's and any NEW codes that may be in the controller.  Unless you got real lucky and had a solenoid pack take a crap,or a wiring issue,I am willing to bet the trans will have to come out.....
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

58 Yeoman

Geez, I'd have thought that Chrysler would've had that problem solved by now.  My 90 took a dump after it had 124,000 miles on it. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I thought I would post a note here:

I have not worked on these trannys in many years.  

The tranny  guys I used to run these type of questions by have moved away to parts unknown to me ( or they are hiding)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

The tranny is toast(I knew it would be)
Got the local tranny shop doing a slip&slide and Irene will get it back on thursday.
Thanks for trying to help.
Russ

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Geez, I'd have thought that Chrysler would've had that problem solved by now.  My 90 took a dump after it had 124,000 miles on it. :roll:

I meant to say 224,000 miles. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil