32 Roadster

Started by DRD57, April 23, 2004, 12:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

It was bound to happen. A guy can only take so much temptation, or was it torture. One day I snapped, or as one of my more colorful friends says "He busted a spring".

I've been working away in the shop, trying, sometimes in vain, to keep the coupe in one piece and sanding on the Cadillac. Sanding, sanding, sanding.... While there in the corner under a thick blanket of dust, mostly primer dust, patiently waits the deuce roadster. Well, not so patient really. Every time I look over there it seems to scream "HEY!!!!! What about me?!?!?! When's MY turn?!?!?!

I keep saying "after the Caddy is done or at least mostly back in one piece". I've set a completion date for the Caddy for Paso '06. That's two years plus at least another two to re-do the roadster means I can't drive it for at least 4 more years. That's too long but I can't just put the Caddy on the back burner for 2+ years while I build the roadster besides I don't have enough space to have both of them completely blown apart for that long.

So, a few days ago I came up with a scheme that gets me into the roadster within a few months and still keeps the Cadillac on schedule for Paso '06. The basic plan is to buy a basic, low buck, repop roller deuce chassis, put the roadster body on it as is and drive it while I finish the Cadillac. Then when the Cadillac is done, I'll build the original deuce chassis the way I really want it. The deuce body will get the appropriate body work and paint before being installed on its permanent chassis. Then I'll buy a repop body for the repop frame, paint it and sell it.

I've been refining the plan over the past few days and it's coming together well. Originally I thought of using the low mileage Cad500 / TH400 slated for the Cadillac for power. That would have necessitated getting replacement cores of each of those to rebuild for the Cadillac. However, after some quick measuring I determined that combination would not fit under the stock hood with the stock firewall and I don't intend to cut either one. Plan B: I've got a TH350 under the bench and Frank Klein has a complete '64 283 without a home. Some Ram's horn manifolds, an old pair of 'vette valve covers I got from RottenRodney, and that grody old Edelbrock 3X2 manifold with 97's on it should work just fine (probably need to get Jere Job to give the 97's a once over. Anybody got his number handy?).

I ordered the repop chassis from CSR Mfg. but I had to make some changes to their basic entry level offering. By the time I got done with upgrades, downgrades and swapping in a few old parts out of my junk stash, I ended up a few bucks under the base price for the chassis. The 4 bar front and tube axle will be swapped out for a beam and hairpins. The rear 4 bars and coil overs will be swapped out for hairpins, a buggy spring and covered shocks. I'll supply the Vega box, spindles, and '56 F100 brakes for the front. They'll add the appropriate bungs for the fenders and running boards. I'll run the fenders while the car is in its beater state. When it gets mated back up with its original chassis it'll be a high boy.

Some other parts from the junk stash that will be used: a set of small Guide headlights without the parking lights, a grody old headlight bar that I think is for a deuce (it'd be cool if I could get that one dropped), a '39 banjo wheel, Signalstat, a set of 46 Merc caps (Lance, I told you I was gonna use them for something), a set of '56 Ford truck wheels (I might need to dig up 2 more of those), and '50 Poncho tail lights. The dash insert that I got from SoCal for the Auburn dash will be a bit shiny for the beater state but it fits the dash perfectly (maybe I'll have to throw some dirt on it or something).

Other stuff I have to buy: 5.60 & 7.20 bias plys, gauges, exhaust (I'm thinking just tubing, no mufflers), driveshaft, windshield glass, radiator, shifter, and all the miscellaneous little stuff like wiring, bolts, hoses and stuff . I was thinking of making a steering column but a 40 column with the shifter would be too cool. I'll have to see if I can dig one of those up.

That's the plan. I'm excited. Hopefully I'll be able to cruise this heap to Bonneville.

enjenjo

I think I have a 40 Column, I know I have a 47 column, I also have  some 15" Ford truck wheels. Let me know.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think I have a 40 Column, I know I have a 47 column, I also have  some 15" Ford truck wheels. Let me know.

Will this wheel work on the 47 column (or a 40)? Does it have a column shifter that could be adapted to the tranny in the other post?

I may be able to get the wheels locally, I'll let you know.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "DRD57"It was bound to happen. A guy can only take so much temptation, or was it torture. One day I snapped, or as one of my more colorful friends says "He busted a spring".

I've been working away in the shop, trying, sometimes in vain, to keep the coupe in one piece and sanding on the Cadillac. Sanding, sanding, sanding.... While there in the corner under a thick blanket of dust, mostly primer dust, patiently waits the deuce roadster. Well, not so patient really. Every time I look over there it seems to scream "HEY!!!!! What about me?!?!?! When's MY turn?!?!?!

I keep saying "after the Caddy is done or at least mostly back in one piece". I've set a completion date for the Caddy for Paso '06. That's two years plus at least another two to re-do the roadster means I can't drive it for at least 4 more years. That's too long but I can't just put the Caddy on the back burner for 2+ years while I build the roadster besides I don't have enough space to have both of them completely blown apart for that long.

So, a few days ago I came up with a scheme that gets me into the roadster within a few months and still keeps the Cadillac on schedule for Paso '06. The basic plan is to buy a basic, low buck, repop roller deuce chassis, put the roadster body on it as is and drive it while I finish the Cadillac. Then when the Cadillac is done, I'll build the original deuce chassis the way I really want it. The deuce body will get the appropriate body work and paint before being installed on its permanent chassis. Then I'll buy a repop body for the repop frame, paint it and sell it.

I've been refining the plan over the past few days and it's coming together well. Originally I thought of using the low mileage Cad500 / TH400 slated for the Cadillac for power. That would have necessitated getting replacement cores of each of those to rebuild for the Cadillac. However, after some quick measuring I determined that combination would not fit under the stock hood with the stock firewall and I don't intend to cut either one. Plan B: I've got a TH350 under the bench and Frank Klein has a complete '64 283 without a home. Some Ram's horn manifolds, an old pair of 'vette valve covers I got from RottenRodney, and that grody old Edelbrock 3X2 manifold with 97's on it should work just fine (probably need to get Jere Job to give the 97's a once over. Anybody got his number handy?).

I ordered the repop chassis from CSR Mfg. but I had to make some changes to their basic entry level offering. By the time I got done with upgrades, downgrades and swapping in a few old parts out of my junk stash, I ended up a few bucks under the base price for the chassis. The 4 bar front and tube axle will be swapped out for a beam and hairpins. The rear 4 bars and coil overs will be swapped out for hairpins, a buggy spring and covered shocks. I'll supply the Vega box, spindles, and '56 F100 brakes for the front. They'll add the appropriate bungs for the fenders and running boards. I'll run the fenders while the car is in its beater state. When it gets mated back up with its original chassis it'll be a high boy.

Some other parts from the junk stash that will be used: a set of small Guide headlights without the parking lights, a grody old headlight bar that I think is for a deuce (it'd be cool if I could get that one dropped), a '39 banjo wheel, Signalstat, a set of 46 Merc caps (Lance, I told you I was gonna use them for something), a set of '56 Ford truck wheels (I might need to dig up 2 more of those), and '50 Poncho tail lights. The dash insert that I got from SoCal for the Auburn dash will be a bit shiny for the beater state but it fits the dash perfectly (maybe I'll have to throw some dirt on it or something).

Other stuff I have to buy: 5.60 & 7.20 bias plys, gauges, exhaust (I'm thinking just tubing, no mufflers), driveshaft, windshield glass, radiator, shifter, and all the miscellaneous little stuff like wiring, bolts, hoses and stuff . I was thinking of making a steering column but a 40 column with the shifter would be too cool. I'll have to see if I can dig one of those up.

That's the plan. I'm excited. Hopefully I'll be able to cruise this heap to Bonneville.

I love a good plan, sounds like a good plan!
Your having way to much fun.  See ya later in the summer, when the snow melts.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

It seems that a lot of the repro frames are "C"d over the rear axel for clearencewhen they are lowered. Are you going to have to cut the floor on you "good" body to use one?It seems like overkill to put fenders on a car you plan to blow-apart . I'd think you'd want to stay closer to what your final build plan intales and forget about the fenders. GPster

purplepickup

Quote from: "DRD57"Every time I look over there it seems to scream "HEY!!!!! What about me?!?!?! When's MY turn?!?!?!

I was looking around at your site lately and wondered how long you could just let the roadster sit there.  I like your plan.  Any time you can get a '32 roadster on the road and have it paid for without selling the coupe or the Caddy, that's a good plan.  8)

It's going to be a really fun car.   I'm jealous  :D
George

enjenjo

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I think I have a 40 Column, I know I have a 47 column, I also have  some 15" Ford truck wheels. Let me know.

Will this wheel work on the 47 column (or a 40)? Does it have a column shifter that could be adapted to the tranny in the other post?

yes it will., and yes it has a column shift.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

beatnik

I'm not sure how you held off so long, you must of kept the garage door closed, out of site out of mind.

Sounds like it will be another great ride, keep us posted.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

32tom

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "DRD57"

yes it will., and yes it has a column shift.

The wheel will fit the shaft, but the bell on the 40-48 column won't be the correct size for the 39 hub. (it's larger in dia.) You can make a new tube from 1 1/2 exhaust tube and add the shifter. You'll need to bell the end slightly to match the 39 hub.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

48bill

[/quote]The wheel will fit the shaft, but the bell on the 40-48 column won't be the correct size for the 39 hub. (it's larger in dia.) You can make a new tube from 1 1/2 exhaust tube and add the shifter. You'll need to bell the end slightly to match the 39 hub.[/quote]

The column from a 50-52 F-1 pickup will work with the banjo wheel. The earlier shaft with the taper and keyway will fit inside it and it has a column shift that can be reworked to shift the turbo 350.  It doesn't have a bell at the top but the 34 to 39 bell is quite small and won't be noticed.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet