Do it yourself plating

Started by purplepickup, February 16, 2006, 01:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I had to make a special sized seat post for a bicycle and it has to slide inside the frame tube.  It slides real nice right now but it's bare metal.  If I paint it the paint will probably screw up the fit and I'm sure the paint will just scrape off when I slide it into the tube.  I'm thinking that plating it might work best to protect it from rusting in the Bonneville salt.  I think zinc should work good.

I've looked a little online for info but it seems like there are different ways of doing it.  Recommendations for electrolyte vary and I'm not sure about how much amperage to use.  I'd prefer to use household stuff if I can instead of buying a commercial plating kit.

I plan to sort thru the info but I wondered if anyone has done any plating at home that came out good?  Any tips?  The part is polished right now and I'd like the plating to be nice and smooth too.
George

GPster

Make it from stainless steel. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't have a clue how to do plating, but I have this mental picture of george in his laboratory with a bunch of steaming beakers and bubbling test tubes whille he laughs maniacally....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bob K

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I don't have a clue how to do plating, but I have this mental picture of george in his laboratory with a bunch of steaming beakers and bubbling test tubes whille he laughs maniacally....

Yep I agree, especially the maniacally part.

B ~:) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Ohio Blue Tip

I knew there was a mad scientist in Michigan.   :twisted:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

purplepickup

LOL :lol:   I just came in from the shop and saw what you guys wrote.  You don't know how right you are!  I'm not sure if it's zinc plate I got but I got something on my first beaker (yogurt cup) test.  (Insert evil mad scientist laugh here)  I must return to the shop and my anodes and cathodes.....more mad laughter....... :shock:  :lol:
George

Sean

I think Gpster has the right idea. Sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to play with chemicals... :wink:

purplepickup

GPster and Sean I agree, stainless would have been great but I had to do some welding on it and I'm not set up to weld stainless.  Plus I had steel and didn't have any stainless in the sizes I needed.  Besides I've been curious about plating at home anyway.

A huge thunderstorm came thru while I was out in the shop.  The perfect setting for Dr Frankenstein type experiments :twisted:

Here's a few pics of my experiment.

For electrolyte I used a mixture of ammonium chloride and zinc chloride which coincidently is what soldering flux is made from.  I used a 9V battery at first.

It only took about 15 seconds to start bubbling.

The steel didn't seem to be getting plated so I changed over to a 6V/4amp battery charger.  At least the solution bubbled more.

This picture is out of focus but you can see that something happened to the steel.  It had juice running thru it for about 5 minutes.

I cleaned it up real good and rubbed it with some Wenol to see if it would polish.  It didn't.  In fact I'm not sure there's any zinc on it either.  I can see a little difference where it was in the electrolyte but not much.

Right now it's got a big goober of Bonneville salt on it to see if it rusts any less where the plating should have been.   I'll probably have to let it set a while.  I think I'll set it out in the woodshed for a few days.  The anode in this picture is a piece of zinc sacrificial anode that I had.  It looks like it sacrificed a little.
George

Pep

I haven't done it before....but am going to try fairly soon. Here is a link to an Aussie site that sells kits. He also tells of the ingediants. Its a good start. Make sure you read the "Articles"section. very informative.

http://www.eplate.com.au/
See Ya
Pep

purplepickup

Quote from: "Pep"Make sure you read the "Articles"section. very informative.
Thanks Pep.  I can see I did some things really wrong...like too much voltage among other things.  If I was planning to plate a lot of parts, it might pay to get a kit but just for this one part I can remake the part with stainless for a lot less...or just turn a few thousands more off, paint it and forget about it.  At least I had an interesting evening and I did learn something.  I'll probably mess with it a little more. :D

So far, the salt has rusted the piece of steel except where it was supposedly plated so something must have got on it.
George

EMSjunkie

Dude, you been standin' waaaaayyyy too close to them fumes.  :shock:

good luck, let us know how it turns out

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

35WINDOW

You might try this site if you haven't already-they sell plating kits-