Please, your evaluation of the 4.1 liter Caddilac engine, if

Started by Jimc, March 24, 2004, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimc

I have an opportunity to become the proud? owner of a 4.1 Caddilac.
What would the value of an engine of this type be?
I am not looking for a dollar amount, but rather, an honest opinion of the merit of such an engine.

Thanks for your opinions in advance,
Jim :?:
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

58 Yeoman

Jim, this is my own experience from the last couple months. Had a chance to buy a very nice 83 coupe de ville, but the front damper/pulley had broken off the crank. Ran across one in the salvage yard that had the same prob, plus talked to a fellow worker that had that happen to him, also (he had mentioned this before I had even told him about the 83), so it wasn't 'yeah, me too.'

Check the yards and ask them if this is a common problem with them. My $.02.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat rat

Quote from: "Jimc"I have an opportunity to become the proud? owner of a 4.1 Caddilac.
I am not looking for a dollar amount, but rather, an honest opinion of the merit of such an engine.

Personally I'd stay as far away from it as I could. My wife had an 83 Seville with that motor it was replaced with less than 50,000 mi. under warranty and the relacement had about 75,00 mi. when the crank broke. Can't remember ever hearing anything good about them
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Jimc

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Jimc"I have an opportunity to become the proud? owner of a 4.1 Caddilac.

Personally I'd stay as far away from it as I could. My wife had an 83 Seville with that motor it was replaced with less than 50,000 mi. under warranty and the relacement had about 75,00 mi. when the crank broke. Can't remember ever hearing anything good about them

I should have clarified, the one I am looking at is an 85 model.
I am assuming the same condition exists.

Thanks,
Jim

unklian

They also came in a 4.9.
Aluminum block,cast iron heads,
lighter and more compact than a SBC.
Bellhousing pattern is the same as the 60 degree chevy V6,so they make an easy swap into a Fiero.
Early ones used a carb and HEI.
The price is right,cuz nobody wants them.

I've heard some stories of head gasket problems.
Don't think I've ever seen one in a hotrod.
Caddy Norstar motors must be popular for a reason.

DRD57

How many cylinders are we talking here?

As many have already indicated the 4.1 litter V8's are scrap metal.

However, Cadillac did use 4.1 Buick V6's that are quite good.

Jimc

It is a v8 in a 85 Eldorado.
Supposed to be the original engine.
I can get the complete running car.

phat rat

Quote from: "Jimc"It is a v8 in a 85 Eldorado.
Supposed to be the original engine.
I can get the complete running car.

Doesn't matter what year Caddy 4.1 V8, their all junk!!

rooster

Had a 87 4.1 for several years, at about 70K miles had leak around the head gasket (AF) other than that no problems, good runner! Got rid of it last year!

Glen

Is this the 1400 motor you guys are talking about?  I know those were junk.

phat rat

Quote from: "Glen"Is this the 1400 motor you guys are talking about?  I know those were junk.

you meant 4100, right? yes that's the one.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Glen"Is this the 1400 motor you guys are talking about?  I know those were junk.

you meant 4100, right? yes that's the one.

not heavy enough for a boat anchor, not good enough to be junk....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Glen

Sorry....4100
Kinda like MR. Mom the movie...."220 or 221 whatever it takes"

model a vette

Back in the 80's I did some computer work at a big Caddy dealer in NYC. Every available space in the shop had a warranteed 4100 engine in it. I think there were close to a hundred there!
I also did some work for the dealer's lawyer that handled the law suits from irate customers that had bad 4100's.
Bottom line: Stay away from the 4100's!
Ed

Phat

I have 2 nice running eldos now with that motor one with 41000 miles....the price?  0  FREE.  I most times yank the front seats smash the windows out and remove the eletric windows and trunk opener sometimes air pump.  Trans and diffs were also junk in the FWD ones.  Too bad real nice looking car.  With scrap @ 150 a ton they are now worth something.  I dont know were people think the Northstar is very good either they are having a ton of problems with them now leaking coolant and oil.  They are dirt cheap in the auctions. I have personal exp with 99 back motors with the 93-94 being the real pile of ship.  If its not and old 500 or 472 you can keep all those caddy motors.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard