Adjusting Door Latches (whats the trick)

Started by blown240, February 11, 2006, 02:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown240

I have been trying to get the passanger side door to close right on my 51 Chevy. I can get the latch to grab the first posisition, so the door doesnt swing open. But I cant get it to go all the car and really latch shut.

From inside the car I cas see what the latch is doing. Basically instead if the latching pin on the door moving up into the fully latched posisition, it stops after the first posisition and just slops back and forth. It has too much in and out play I guess.

has anyone experienced this? I really dont want to go with bearclaw latches. The drivers door seems ok, it needs a little lovin to get it to latch, but it will do it.

enjenjo

Try moving the latch striker out. I know that sounds wrong, but sometimes that is what is needed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Might also try painting the stricker plate, then you can see scratch marks where things are mating up.

blown240

I tried adjusting the plate out, that isnt the problem.  On my car the pin is in the door and the catch is in the B pillar.  It seems there is alot of play in the striker pin.  I need to figure out how to make it more stable.  And I need to find a way to reverse the wear on the catch.

Pep

If its wear..try building up some beads of weld and grind back.
See Ya
Pep

alchevy

I bought a kit to refresh the inside mechanism on my '40 Chevy door latches, but I have not replaced them yet. All of the springs and such are probably worn out. A friend of mind told me that it was an easy job to do, but I just have not tackled it yet. The doors work, they just take some work every once in a while to make them do right.

I had thought about what options I had if I did not use the stock mechanism.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com