WTP 30-31 A coupe drip rail piece

Started by moose, February 01, 2006, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Help I an looking to acquire a small section of drip rail for a 30-31 Model A coupe. Mine are missing and I want to make my own replacements. I need just enough to get a good profile amybe an inch or so. If I can get hold of a piece I plan to do a tech post on the process I use to make them...

Thanks
Tim

unklian

moose

Quote from: "unklian"Hammer form ?

Nope fold and stretch.....

Canuck

Would some measurements help?  Could take measurements off the profile and do up a drawing.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

moose

Quote from: "Canuck"Would some measurements help?  Could take measurements off the profile and do up a drawing.

Measurements a drawing and a close-up photo would get me started in the right direction.

Thanks

Tim

moose

Quote from: "river1"same as a 28/29?

later jim

Not sure? But as it is a rod and not a restoration i it wee close to the same it would work.

Tim

river1

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "river1"same as a 28/29?

later jim

Not sure? But as it is a rod and not a restoration i it wee close to the same it would work.

Tim

PM me your address i'll send you a peice of 28/29.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Canuck

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "Canuck"Would some measurements help?  Could take measurements off the profile and do up a drawing.

Measurements a drawing and a close-up photo would get me started in the right direction.

Thanks

Tim

w
Will do it tomorrow.

Canuck
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

terrarodder

When I built my A ,back in early 60s, a buddy of mine's dad worked in a sheet metal shop. bent a piece the same profile as the org. It was only as long as the top of the door, we drilled 1/4 in. holes in the body and welded it from the inside then leaded the indentation over the 1/4 window, its hard to curve it there, gave it a nice touch.
normal people scare me

moose

Quote from: "terrarodder"When I built my A ,back in early 60s, a buddy of mine's dad worked in a sheet metal shop. bent a piece the same profile as the org. It was only as long as the top of the door, we drilled 1/4 in. holes in the body and welded it from the inside then leaded the indentation over the 1/4 window, its hard to curve it there, gave it a nice touch.

That is kinda my plan but I will take it all the way back above the quartewr windows...

TIm

Canuck

Hope this is of some help.  The little bead rolled into the bottom is not too noticable and probably could be left out, especially on a rod.

The price - - - I know getting the basic shape shouldn't be a problem with a break, but how do/did you get the curve down over the full ength, expecially over the quarter window where it is more pronounced and the curve to match the side of the body.  If you put the bead into the bottom how did you do it?

One thought I have had is taking a piece of 1/2" sq tube and trim a section out of the top to match the original.  Wouldn't be as high at the back, but could be mounted a little higher on the body.  Wouldn't be as deep but would not be noticed.  It could be bent to shape then trimmed to prevent distortion of the final product.
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017