3.8 Buick v6

Started by kb426, February 05, 2006, 02:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Is there a rear wheel drive bell housing for this engine?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Yes, a 2.8/3.0 V6 bell housing will fit it. There are other issues though. I don't believe there is a stick shift flywheel to fit it. I may be wrong though. It was used in some Firebirds in turbochaged form in the late 80's. I don't know which bellhousing was used on the Firebird, front dtive type, or rear drive type. There are also issuesd with the motor mounts, and intake manifold.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

it would help to know if an auto  or manual tranny.

A fellow at work just hooked up a buick FWD 3.8 to a small bell housing 700 tranny
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

My thought was manual trans. Frank is making me think this isn't a good idea.
TEAM SMART

Pep

That engine was used over here in the Commodore for quite a few years. They are RWD..also have a manual....
See Ya
Pep

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes, a 2.8/3.0 V6 bell housing will fit it. There are other issues though. I don't believe there is a stick shift flywheel to fit it. I may be wrong though. It was used in some Firebirds in turbochaged form in the late 80's. I don't know which bellhousing was used on the Firebird, front dtive type, or rear drive type. There are also issuesd with the motor mounts, and intake manifold.

I can't remember the name, but the Buick variant of the Chevy Monza came with that engine and a manual trans.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"

I can't remember the name, but the Buick variant of the Chevy Monza came with that engine and a manual trans.

Yes, but that was the earlier block that had the same bolt pattern as the BOP V8 engines. It was changed in 84 or so. There were a lot of other changes made too, crank, seals, heads, intake.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

DOH!  Yeah, I knew that, got my engines confused.  Sorry for confusing the issue.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

we kinda assumed the fellow was asking about a FWD 3.8 Buick motor...... GM has the back of the FWD block a bit goofy when compared to the BOP style bell housing.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)