tried some water base paint flames

Started by WZ JUNK, February 01, 2006, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I made a fiberglass panel to cover the firewall on an old truck I am working on.  The firewall was full of holes.  A carpenter once told me that if you can not fix something, cover it up.  The water base paint was a little tricky to get use to but if I do some more, I should be able to do a better job.  For some reason the picture is not to clear but I will try to post it.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

moparrodder

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I made a fiberglass panel to cover the firewall on an old truck I am working on.  The firewall was full of holes.  A carpenter once told me that if you can not fix something, cover it up.  The water base paint was a little tricky to get use to but if I do some more, I should be able to do a better job.  For some reason the picture is not to clear but I will try to post it.

Hey John, it looks pretty good to me, how tricky is it as I've never tried it yet.   Bill

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "moparrodder"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I made a fiberglass panel to cover the firewall on an old truck I am working on.  The firewall was full of holes.  A carpenter once told me that if you can not fix something, cover it up.  The water base paint was a little tricky to get use to but if I do some more, I should be able to do a better job.  For some reason the picture is not to clear but I will try to post it.

Hey John, it looks pretty good to me, how tricky is it as I've never tried it yet.   Bill

I made a couple of beginner mistakes.  I should have used their base sealer for the first coat.  By doing this I would have saved a lot of time and paint.  I edged the flames with blue and then I taped off the blue and painted the flames.  When I unmasked I had a blue pinstripe on the flames.  But since I did not have a light colored undercoat or sealer the blue pinstripe on the black background is hard to see.

The paint I used was from Hobby Lobby.  The four colors were about $3 each.  It sprayed well right out of the bottle.  The trick is to use several light coats and dry each coat with a hair dryer.  Since it is water base, you do not have to wear a respirator.

I think I know why my first picture was not as clear as this second one.  The first shot was taken right after I sprayed the last coat of urethane clear.  The flash must have bounce off the overspray mist in the air.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

BFS57

Hello;
Hobby Lobby!? What name does this paint go by? I guess more and more paint is being mfg. for water based use.
When I was in the model airplane hobby I remember a paint from Hobby Poxy! Man, That was really good! Expensive, but good! Especially the primer!
Bruce

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Hobby Lobby!? What name does this paint go by? I guess more and more paint is being mfg. for water based use.
When I was in the model airplane hobby I remember a paint from Hobby Poxy! Man, That was really good! Expensive, but good! Especially the primer!
Bruce

It is call "Createx" air brush paint.  They have in in the hobby area.  There is a big selection of colors and lots of stuff to do special effects.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck