Power Steering Hoses

Started by tonto1, January 31, 2006, 07:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

The Mustang power steering rack in my '41 Chevy has leaked almost from day one and I finally got tired of it leaking on the hanger floor. So, I took advantage of the Auto-Zone lifetime warranty and got a replacement.

It seems there are 2 different racks for the '79 Mustang, a Ford rack and a TRW rack.  The Ford rack, which is what I had is made in two pieces, one part steel and one part aluminum and it leaked where the 2 pieces bolted together.
The TRW rack is one piece all aluminum, so I figured it would be less likely to leak, plus it would clear the MII crossmember better.
So I talked them into giving me that one, but now I have to make new P/S hoses.
I have a '95 S-10 pump, so originally I cut ends from a Ford hose and a GM hose and had a hydraulic hose made to fit. I never did like the way it looked plus it really wasn't  very flexible. So now I would like to use a regular P/S hose for the flex part and silver solder the correct  ends with some hand crafted (home made) ferrules.

Does this sound like a dumb idea?
Aren't there some Ford products that used a Saginaw pump?

I'll appreciate any advice :)

Tonto
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

enjenjo

If Done right, silver solder is fine. I have even used it on AC lines.

The only Ford application for a Saginaw Pump that I am aware of is E series vans, there may be others. Some of the Mopars used a Saginaw pump too, and the rack fittings are similar to a Mustang.

Also Eaton Weatherhead has several power steering adapters that sometimes are helpful.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

Thanks Frank. I'll look there
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?