Flat Roof Society

Started by jaybee, February 10, 2006, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

If you removed the roof from a full-size van, then cut it from side to side just short of the ends of the roof ribs so the ribs were continuous and open on each end, could you lay it flat like a big sheet of corrugated barn siding?  To me it looks like it should work since it looks like nearly all the crown is near the ends, if you look at it from the side.  And what little lengthwise crown is in the center of the roof should be absorbed into the shape of the ribs if you push it flat?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Yes, Almost. But not quite. :shock:  It will pretty much flatten out, but there is more curve end to end than you might think.

It suprises me that you would want to do this, and it suprises me more that I have done it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

If anyone here had done it I'm not surprised if it were you or Fatcat.  You guys have pretty much seen and done it all.  So, why did you do it, what did you use it for, and did you manage to get it flat enough for the purpose?

enjenjo

Well, I had several van roofs, and needed something to keep the weeds down, and the woodchucks out, around some project cars. It's chuck proof, and flattens out nice when you park a car on top of it. :lol:

jaybee

Um, I think I'm glad I asked.  At least now I know what to do in case of wood chuck infestation.   :?

Thanks for letting me know that.  To exaggerate, I had pictured something a little more like a school bus roof, where it's crowned fore and aft as well as side to side near the ends, but basically flat lengthwise in the middle.  Therefore if you cut the ends off it could be laid out flat.

enjenjo

A school bus roof will do that, outside of the ends, it's just flat panels. A van roof is a one peice stamping, and is curved front to back too.

Bib_Overalls

Why would anyone want to cut the top off an old van or school bus?

Where will the chickens go when it rains?

Where will guests sleep when they come to visit?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks