Fuel filler neck grommet

Started by sedanman, January 17, 2006, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedanman

Hello everyone,

I just purchased and received a fuel filler neck grommet for my 36 chevy from The filling station. I don't understand how it attaches to the hole in the body. I thought that it would have a groove that would pass through the hole ( like most grommets) and seal against the body on the inside and outside and the filler neck would pass through it. The one they sent me made by Steel rubber products is flat on the side that meets(no groove) the body and I don't see how it will keep water out of the trunk or how it will be held in place other then the filler neck going through it.  What am I missing here?

Vic

rooster

Quote from: "sedanman"Hello everyone,

I just purchased and received a fuel filler neck grommet for my 36 chevy from The filling station. I don't understand how it attaches to the hole in the body. I thought that it would have a groove that would pass through the hole ( like most grommets) and seal against the body on the inside and outside and the filler neck would pass through it. The one they sent me made by Steel rubber products is flat on the side that meets(no groove) the body and I don't see how it will keep water out of the trunk or how it will be held in place other then the filler neck going through it.  What am I missing here?

Vic

It may be that was the way they did it back then! Heres what the 49 chevy looks like.

Might also try here!
http://chevy.tocmp.com/

chopped

Back when my 36 filler tube was stock it had the grove your talking about. I don't remember who I got a repo from but it had the same grove just like a grommet. The rubber slides over the filler tube and locks with the grove. I think you got hosed :lol:

enjenjo

It depends on the model, some had the groove, some didn't. I've used both.

To install a no groove one, lay some masking tape on the body, trace the outside of the grommet on the tape, and cut out all the tape inside the line. Use a bead of windshield urethane inside the tape, install the grommet, and use more tape to hold it in place. Wipe off any adhesive that squeezes out, and when it's pretty much set up, run an Exacto knife around the grommet, and then remove the tape.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sedanman

Quote from: "enjenjo"It depends on the model, some had the groove, some didn't. I've used both.

To install a no groove one, lay some masking tape on the body, trace the outside of the grommet on the tape, and cut out all the tape inside the line. Use a bead of windshield urethane inside the tape, install the grommet, and use more tape to hold it in place. Wipe off any adhesive that squeezes out, and when it's pretty much set up, run an Exacto knife around the grommet, and then remove the tape.

Thanks to all you guys for the information. Enjenjo, I was afraid of that when I looked at it, that it may have to be glued on. Oh well my car is in primer right now so it will be a while before I will be installing this peice. :roll: