New guy.. info on '33 Speedstar

Started by JaseAU, January 16, 2006, 05:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseAU

Hi all,

Im just an enthusiast beginning to think about building up a rod, so im just doing lots of research etc. Looking at all the parts and how they all go together.. yada yada..

Im wondering if anyone knows anywhere in Australia that i could source a chassis & body of a '33 Ford Speedster.. if im using the wrong term for the car, i have attached an image of the body style im referring to.

The prices on the US sites could be affordable, but when you add a few thousand for shipping of chassis and body to Australia, it becomes too much just for the foundation..

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT.

The picture you have, the body style is actually a 3 window coupe. And the build style is a highboy.And the particular car you have there is one built by Bobbie Alloway, which uses a body built special for him, with a lot of the proportions exagerated a bit.

I know there are 32 three window bodies built in Oz, they may build 33 too. The place to ask is  http://www.ozrodders.com/board/index.php These guys have a pretty good handle on the Ozzy scene.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

JaseAU

Thanks enjenjo,

So thats the same style as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Speedster-Alloway-1933-Ford-Speedster-Alloway-Drives-As-Good-As-It-Looks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6057QQitemZ4604767586QQrdZ1

I really like the low slung look of the body, as well as the low, pointed frontend and i want to get this shape...

enjenjo

Yes, that's the same body. The major change between that body and a stocker, outside of the roof chop, is the laying back at the top, of the windshield, and the grille shell. The problem you may have with an American body in Oz, it may not pass ADR for side impact and body reinforcement. If extensive modification is needed, you may be better starting with a Aussy body, and modifying it for shape.

Dave

Quote from: "JaseAU"Hi all,

Im just an enthusiast beginning to think about building up a rod, so im just doing lots of research etc. Looking at all the parts and how they all go together.. yada yada..

Im wondering if anyone knows anywhere in Australia that i could source a chassis & body of a '33 Ford Speedster.. if im using the wrong term for the car, i have attached an image of the body style im referring to.

The prices on the US sites could be affordable, but when you add a few thousand for shipping of chassis and body to Australia, it becomes too much just for the foundation..

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

Rats glass builds the speedstar bodies for alloway. I would like one my self but id have to sell the 32 and start over. I dont think its gonna happen right away :lol:  :lol:
Dave

JaseAU

Thanks for the info guys..

N8DC, yep i actually saw them here: http://ratsglassbodies.com/speedstar_coupe_&_roadster.htm for US$9000, which is AUD$11926.. but then add transport on top of that..

Sometimes i wish i were in the states :D

enjenjo, there is a place here in Aus that sells the 33 HiBoy body, http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/343wcoupe.html, is this the base body that is customised into the speedstar look?

So to go from HiBoy to Speedstar, theres a roof chop and windscreen layback, and the grill shell..

i got two pics, one of a hiboy body (on the top of that page) and one of a side-on speedstar, and compared them, and they are quite different from what i could guage.. do you know if any other changes are made to the bodies? such as lengthening the engine bay section or anything?

enjenjo

I think you will find that most every panel is modified.  I believe the body is stretched length wise, longer doors, and the rear curve is changed too. But it's fairly easy to modify glass, so it can be done.

"but then add transport on top of that.." Not to hijack this thread but do you have an estimate on shipping a body between our countries? I really have an interest in their 36 Roadster but GMT that sells them here in the states is getting $12K U.S. for them.Their direct price is about $6800 U.S.....quite a differance! Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"