Horse power question

Started by speedracer, January 13, 2006, 11:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Hey guys I've been told that going with a Holley 750 vs Edelblock 750 would make approx 15 more horses and also by getting rid of my flex fan and installing a electric one would add on 5-9 more HP.  One last thing how much if any does running the engine with the collector boxes open while on the dyno does it gain in HP?  The reason I'm asking after the car got off the dyno  it made 348 hp minus 25% for 700r4 drive train and 470 hp with the nitros and 93 octane fuel, oh the torque was 452 lbs.
Any truth to this and is any thing that I could do to make more HP.
Oh yea the engine is a 350, bored 30 over edelbrock power package (aluminum heads/dual plane intake/ 750 carb /cam and lifters) they claim the package will produce 410 hp. Also headers and flow masters.  Yea the elky runs real strong but was just wondering if I was missing something that I could do.
Thanks guys for all your advice, Johnny

rumrumm

An electric fan will save you a couple of hp and a Holley will generally make a little more  power  than an Edelbrock on the dyno. I don't know  if  the gains would be significant enough to justify changing carburetors and installing an electric fan.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

speedracer

Quote from: "rumrumm"An electric fan will save you a couple of hp and a Holley will generally make a little more  power  than an Edelbrock on the dyno. I don't know  if  the gains would be significant enough to justify changing carburetors and installing an electric fan.
hey Lynn
Hows it going?  Yea still playing with the el camino, she's running fine.  Knock on wood.  Hows things at SRS, I read the post from the web admin guy about Ed and some of the guys, guess I was'nt the only one with a problem.  Anyway life is good always searching for alittle more power and knowledge.  Thanks again, johnny

rumrumm

Things are going fine, Johnny. I still frequent the other website. I generally do my best to stay out of trouble over there.

Sorry to hear you are selling your rod after all you went through to get it. You might think about advertising it on www.hotrodhotline.com. That  place gets a lot of traffic. Check it out.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

I'm not entirely certain that changing the carb brand will make that much difference. If both are rated at the same CFM, and jetted correctly, at a given rpm they should pretty much be the same.

What's the goal here? Is it to make more horsepower, or to make the car quicker? One doesn't necessarily give you the other.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

I don't believe the press will do any side by side comparision either, seem how both companies advertise with them. I would also like to know which one is quicker max HP.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mikej"I don't believe the press will do any side by side comparision either, seem how both companies advertise with them. I would also like to know which one is quicker max HP.

Honestly, I don't think there will be a difference. Once you have the jetting right either one should make about the same hp. The Holley has a lot of things going for it as far as aftermarket support, but as far as Driveability, the Edelbrock is a easier carb to tune.

Mikej

Frank, I'm sure that the same hp would be attained with the same cfm carb but which one get there quicker. I've had both and getting the edelbrock dailed in was not easy. I was never really happy with it.

enjenjo

With the Holley, for the most part, you are tuning the fuel. On the Edelbrock/Carter, you tune both air and fuel. So you have to approach it a little differently. Done right, the performance will be about the same. you just can't do them both the same. The AFB is a bit harder to learn at first, but once you figure it out, it works well.