Need some info on AD Chevy pickups

Started by enjenjo, February 07, 2006, 08:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

QuoteDo you have a plan?

Of course :lol:  Actually they are the same length as pickup fenders, it suprised me. they are much higher though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "enjenjo"I need the measurement on a stock frame from the center of the front body mount hole to the center of the front axle.

I have a 53 chevy AD 3100 no engine or trans, and was glad to be able to get the measurement of 31.5 in from bolt center to axle center, I can't even list the number of times you have answered my technical questions along with others who have been of help from this forum. Ed ke6bnl.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

GPster

I'm digging this subject out so it doesn't appear that I'm the only one with questions about them. With mine out of the garage again so I can take a long look at it (both time and distance) mine appears too wide at the bottom. The back of the cab appears OK but with the way the doors are fitting the bottom hinge points seem too far apart from each other. When I got this cab there was no floor in front of the seats and pretty much everything below the top hinge was a guess. The measurement that would help me is from one bottom hinge accross to the other. I think you could get the measurement I could use off any cab that was stock or maybe even one with a little tunnel added. Use the top bolts ( two to a side ) that hold the bottom hinge to the cowl. The adjustment is in the hinge so the bolt positions are stationary. The top of my cowl plus the added support of the windshield framing makes me feel that the top hinges are in the correct position and my front cab mounts are built off of the lower hinge mounting so I could make it right and permanent. My doors are stock and my hinges are stock so I would like to get their positioning stock so I can tell why what doesn't fit where. GPster

enjenjo

I massured two unrusted cabs I have here, and they both measured 57 1/2" between the top bolts on the bottom hinges.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I massured two unrusted cabs I have here, and they both measured 57 1/2" between the top bolts on the bottom hinges.
OK just to clarify, you're talking about the two top bolts that would be closest together accross the cab (the bolt on either hinge that is closest to the inside of the cab)? You're talking about the center of the bolt head? Funny that I should try to be so close now as a quick measurement of what I've got is 59".  Tomorrow will be a cut and weld day. * good thing I didn't tack the seat floor to that door frame bottom I built. I wonder if I've got long enough cables on my buzz box or if I'll have to put it back in the garage. Thanks for quick checking. GPster

enjenjo

QuoteOK just to clarify, you're talking about the two top bolts that would be closest together accross the cab (the bolt on either hinge that is closest to the inside of the cab)? You're talking about the center of the bolt head?

yes, that's it.

GPster

Well I checked it last night and got 59" but in the sunlight it was only 58 1/2". I took the 57 1/2" measurement and enlarged a set of hole that where that far apart  on a length of perforated strap so I'd have a gage to fasten in place when I reached that magic mark. After I ground through those front body mounts (my design) it took two nylon strap come-a-longs to pull it together. When I got to bolt in the perforated strap and removed one of the come-a-longs I checked it. The doors hang better and the seat base fits better. I think I'll let it sit this way for awhile and let it settle in before I weld it in. May even start the motor and let the rumble (shake,it's a stock six) scare it into submission. Then I'll have to move it and cleanup all the grinding dust before it rains and stains the concrete. GPster