Rust Mort Fumes

Started by blown240, January 13, 2006, 12:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown240

How bad are they? The fumes from Rustmort that is.  This weekend I need to Rustmort the inside of my doors and rear seat side panels. I know there is some sort of acid in it. Should I do it outside, or is in the garage fine?

How long does it take to dry? or how long should I wait before closing the car up?

Or does anyone else have any tips on using Rustmort?  I am going to be spraying it thru a spray bottle, so that I can get it into places I cant brush.

thanks!

Uncle Bob

Rustmort is essentially a solution of phosphoic acid and water.  Phosphoric acid finds it's way into food products, probably most common are soft drinks like Coca Cola (you've probably heard the story about desolving a nail in Coke).  That's not to say that it can't be harmful in larger quantities.  Any chemical should be used in a well ventilated area, and since you're going to atomize it you should wear a good respirator and eye protection.  If you're blowing into nooks and crannies be mindful of "blow back", have a source of clean eye wash nearby for when you forget.  If you read the instructions you're to neutralize your application with water when it's done reacting.  If you don't pound it on too hard it should dry in less than an hour.  More air movement will dry it faster.  If you intend to accelerate drying with compressed air remember the blow back thing again.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.