One piece side window in '40 Chevy

Started by teal32, March 02, 2013, 12:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

A good friend is removing the vent wnidows in my '40 Chevy Coupe and putting in one piece side windows. It's a project that I knew was over my head. Evidently it's become a little to much for him, too. He's run into a problem. He is saying that when the window gets almost all the way up, it then decides to not go into the track at the top front of the door frame. It's like the window glass needs to be a few inches longer in the front at the bottom so it will stay in the track longer and guide the top into place.

I'm sure someone here has done this on a '40 Chevy (maybe a Buick or Pontiac). I don't think a Ford would have the same shape door.

He would like to talk to someone if he could, to figure out the problem. If anyone could help, let me know. Maybe I can hook the two of you up.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

enjenjo

He's right, you need more tail. What he can do is fabricate a guide on the window track that sticks down  in the channel to guide the glass. 4 or 5 inches should be long enough.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

teal32

I figure your talking about a guide in the lower right corner under the glass (as you are looking toward the window)? He talked about that. But wanted to get an idea before fabricating one.

enjenjo

You can actually put one at both ends.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Those doors have a fair amount of bow front to back. I assume the bottom ledge, that your arm rests on has had the center of the opening moved in, and straightened out front to rear. I have vent windows in my chopped '40 convert but kept the  bottom of the vertical parts of the window frame in the door as long as it was originally. That gives the window more stability.

If the frame is trying to get out of the track it sounds like the track aren't square to each other. When I do one piece windows I make a 1/4" masonite pattern and then make sure it goes up and down easy before making it in glass.

It's never as easy as it looks....and my mileage always varies.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"He's right, you need more tail. What he can do is fabricate a guide on the window track that sticks down  in the channel to guide the glass. 4 or 5 inches should be long enough.

More tail solves so many problems.  :oops:
Who\'s yer Data?

river1

Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "enjenjo"He's right, you need more tail. What he can do is fabricate a guide on the window track that sticks down  in the channel to guide the glass. 4 or 5 inches should be long enough.

and causes so many more :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Mikej

I have the same problems on my 35. Wish it still had the wing window. The window noise without one is loud. The shape of the body is such that the air comes in behind you or at your ear. Would be much better to direct it. Looks better without.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Mac"

Especially lawyers cash flow problems!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

teal32

Thanks for all of the help. I passed it on to my friend. Gonna check with him at the end of the week to see the results. Sure glad I didn't try to do this project.