Locker, Posi, Power Trax, TrueTrac

Started by sirstude, January 10, 2006, 03:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Hi all,

I am going to change the gears in the Impala this year, the 2.56 are just too tall.  It idles at about 15mph.  Anyway, I had a PowerTrax unit in it and was not happy.  Between the car being pretty heavy, and tons of torque, every time I touched the gas, things jumped.  What I mean by that, is when I was driving around a corner, and hit the gas, the car wanted to go straight, not turn the corner.  When you are driving some of the little back roads we have, that can be real exciting.  Anyway, the locker is out.   Has anyone had experience with the Detroit TrueTrac unit?  It looks kind of like a planetary setup.  Or do you all think just the old Eaton Posi standby will be the best for me.  I have to change the carier to go to a 3 series gear, so I hate to just put in and open rear.  I could keep the Power Trax unit and put it in if I ever manage to get to the dragstrip.  Finding a 12 bolt carier can be fun, and I hat e to put in a used carier, who knows what it has been through, so that is why the posi question.  I can buy a new posi carier in lots of places.

Hope this is not too convoluted
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

rumrumm

I have a Detroit True-Track center section in the 9 inch rear in my coupe. I called Randy's Ring and Pinion and determined it was the right thing for my application. I like  it, and it is like having an open rear end until you lay on it and the worm gears engage. It never truly locks up completely, but since I don't drag race it, it doesn't matter. The traction is a real improvement over the open rear end I had in my previous rod. But I don't know if they are good for a high torque application in a heavy car. I think a GM posi unit might be better and cheaper. Give Randy's Ring and Pinion a call and speak with one of their technicians about what choice would  be right for you. I found them very helpful.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

OFOF

I also got a true-track for my 9" after making a lot of smoke at the drags during the 2002 Ego-Rama.  I also used Randy's Ring and Pinion.  I went with a set of 3:50 gears, up from a set of 3:00's that I ran before.  I run a blown small block so the open rear end was kinda scary when I got on it.  The true-track works great and I like the fact that I don't have to add anything to the fluid.  I's recommend it!
Don.
Don Palfreyman

sirstude

Thanks everyone,

I called Randy's and ended up with the TruTrac, and a set of 3.42s.  The choices for a 12 bolt are kind of limited.  3.08 or 3.42, with nothing inbetween.  Along with everything else, I think I found a clean AC setup to put  in the Impala, might even drive it down to Bonneville next year, so I can show up in Spokane the next weekend with salt all over it.

Doug

Don,  How is the 34 coming, I have a friend with a car in the same shop and he mentioned it?
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

OFOF

Hi Doug, If you have air in the '65 on the salt you may become a very popular fellow.  The '34 is next in line for paint.  Batch has done a lot of work making the body lazer straight and it will be black again.  If all goes well I'll have it on the road by spring.  Thanks for asking!
Don.
Don Palfreyman