ford in a chevy

Started by junkyardjeff, December 31, 2005, 04:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I am going to,install a 302 and c-4 I have in my 37 chevy p/u,are there any universal motor mounts available of am I on my own for that swap.  I am also wanting to put a 460 and c-6 ina 65 or 66 impala if I can not find a decent 65 galaxie 2 door.  Jeff

enjenjo

You are kind of on your own on the 37. Chassis Engineering makes a universal engine mount that will fit the 37 with some trimming of the mount. The trans can be adapted the stock Kmember, but it's difficult to remove the trans unless the crossmember is modified by making the center bolt in. You'll need a rear sump pan from a Van, or 4x4 truck. Stock radiator will cool it if it's in good shape, upper outlet works as is, lower will too if you have a right side outlet pump, most are left outlet, and you can switch the position of the lower outlet on the radiator. Exhaust on the right side, stock 289 manifold fits, left side use another right side manifold, and drop it down at the front. Things get real tight on the left side with shift linkage, steering and shifter all in the same area, but some planning will get it all in. you may be able to find block hugger headers to fit, and stock 5.0 Mustang headers may work too.

On the 65 and 66 they are both the same chassis. Trans is easy, some tweaking of the stock crossmember is all that is needed. You will need a Van rear sump oil pan, some cutting on the crossmember may still be needed. For the motor mounts, bolt a 3/8" plate to the mount bosses on the block, and set that down onto stock Chevy V8 mounts. I suggest use 69 to 72 Chevelle isolators, much better design, they are interlocked and won't break as easy as the stock ones. Mark the position of the Chevy mounts on the 3/8" plate, and drill and tap the plates to bolt the Chevy mounts on them.  A 75 or so Lincoln Mark radiator will adapt easily. Stock manifolds should work on both sides. The rest is just details.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ONE37TUDOR

Is your 460 an EFI motor? If it is it may not fit in a 65/66 Galaxy without a hood scope?
I have been trying to figure out a way to get mine in my 61 Starliner without cutting the hood and the best I can get is within 3 1/2". Damm snorkel for the EFI is the problem.

Scott..
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

junkyardjeff

No my 460 is a late 70s 4 bbl motor from a lincoln,a hood with a teardrop scoop might clear the injection.  Jeff

ONE37TUDOR

Yes a hood scoop would cure the problem and some of the early factory racers had a nice scoop on the. I just would rather not have a scoop if possible.
I am now exploring the option of building my own intake system that would allow for the same plentum volume and runner length in a more compact design. I think I have it worked out but I need to find an aluminum manifold I can hack on.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT