metal stripping

Started by buffalo bob, December 31, 2005, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffalo bob

Eons ago on the old RRT, the subject of metal dipping to clean paint & rust was discussed.  Skip mentioned and recommended an outfit he had good experience with, and now that I'm looking I have lost the name.  Seems like ready strip or something.  I believe he said it was a franchise outfit.  Anyone have a clue what I'm rambling about or did I just dream this one up?

enjenjo

RediStrip is a franchise operation, there are several in different parts of the country. The one we have in Toledo is no longer affiliated with RediStrip, but uses similar technology.

I have been happy with the parts I have had dipped, but there are limits in it's use. It's not good on parts with hidden seams, there is no way to get any rust proofing material back into the seams. Doors and so forth, you can flow primer or other rustproofing materials into the seams, but it's difficult to do on a whole body. The final wash they use puts a coating on the parts, to prevent rusting, that has to be thoroughly removed before painting, or it will cause paint problems, paying particular attention to exposed seams.

The other thing is with the hazardous materials involved, it is somewhat expensive, for a whole car now it runs in the range of $100 to $1500 to do the whole car. I use it mostly for running boards, it will remove residual tubber, fenders, gas tanks and such.

There is another newer system here, a buddy has used it several times and likes it. It is actually a thermal rust removal, there the body or parts are baked to loosen the paint, filler and rust, the media blasted to get the last bit. the surface needs further preperation before paint, and the lead is melted out of the seams. I can get more info on this if you are interested.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

buffalo bob

Thanks enjenjo.  Forgot about the problems associated with dipping.  I knew it was pricey but the blasters around here have gone up also.  I was thinking there was a dipping outfit in Columbus, OH.  Probably go to the blasters.

enjenjo

There was a RediStrip franchise in Columbus, at least in the recent past.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

A friend of mine had his Buick Skylark dipped a couple years ago, and it did come back with the protective coating on it.  He waited for a nice hot sunny day in the summer to give it the wash job to remove it, then left it in the sun to completely dry.  After that, it went to a body shop, so I don't know how they painted in all the nooks and crannies.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Years ago there was a Redi strip place in Tempe AZ... they got caught dumping chemicals down the city sewer.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

buffalo bob

Nothing worse than a rusty old sewer that needs repainted.  Wonder what they billed the city to prep the sewer for paint?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "buffalo bob"Nothing worse than a rusty old sewer that needs repainted.  Wonder what they billed the city to prep the sewer for paint?

For some reason the company was fined , not thanked for a job well done.

then there was the chrome shop that was dumping chemicals into the canal near by...... the city put a quadriplegic in jail for that one. He was the manager of the chrome shop.

They did nice chrome work though
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)