O/T Need computer help with PC Lock software

Started by purplepickup, January 02, 2006, 07:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Well I've got myself into something I can't figure out how to fix. My Sony MicroVault USB drive has a secure section that requires a password. That has been working fine until tonight. I thought I was accessing the secure part when I clicked on PC Lock. That, I have found out, is software that locks your computer when you want it to. The trouble is I don't know anything about the software and when I clicked on it my computer went into a Locked mode where the only thing I can see is a full screen that says "PC Lock Running". My mouse doesn't work and I can't see any way to get control of my computer again. I know my password, I just don't know how to enter it.

I'm on my second computer but I want my other computer back and don't know what to do. There seems to be a lot of computer saavy people here and maybe someone can help. I've done searches and everyone says what great software it is but no says how to get control back.

Help!  :!:  :?:
George

Fat Cat

Quote from: "purplepickup"Well I've got myself into something I can't figure out how to fix. My Sony MicroVault USB drive has a secure section that requires a password. That has been working fine until tonight. I thought I was accessing the secure part when I clicked on PC Lock. That, I have found out, is software that locks your computer when you want it to. The trouble is I don't know anything about the software and when I clicked on it my computer went into a Locked mode where the only thing I can see is a full screen that says "PC Lock Running". My mouse doesn't work and I can't see any way to get control of my computer again. I know my password, I just don't know how to enter it.

I'm on my second computer but I want my other computer back and don't know what to do. There seems to be a lot of computer saavy people here and maybe someone can help. I've done searches and everyone says what great software it is but no says how to get control back.

Help!  :!:  :?:

Have not heard of that product so I am not sure how to go about helping specifically. If it is disabling the mouse I would guess that there is a keyboard keystroke pattern that will bring up a password dialog box. If I had to guess I would try Ctrl-Alt-Del. That is the standard for Windows NT/2000/XP.

purplepickup

Thanks Frank but Ctl Alt Del doesn't work either.  The software is designed to keep people from using your computer.  It works pretty good I'd say.   I've even shut down and restarted in Safe Mode where I'm trying to uninstall the program.  So far I haven't had any luck there either.  I'm following instructions on their website but not getting the same results they're describing. :?

I'll probably screw things up even worse if I keep going.  I can see this is going to be a good year. :|
George

bigdude

Quote from: "purplepickup"Thanks Frank but Ctl Alt Del doesn't work either.  The software is designed to keep people from using your computer.  It works pretty good I'd say.   I've even shut down and restarted in Safe Mode where I'm trying to uninstall the program.  So far I haven't had any luck there either.  I'm following instructions on their website but not getting the same results they're describing. :?

I'll probably screw things up even worse if I keep going.  I can see this is going to be a good year. :|
Try unplugging it forabout 5 min then plug back in.

purplepickup

Ok, I think I've got it figured out.  I found their website and read about what the software does.  When the software is enabled the only way to use the computer is to insert the USB flash drive and it acts like a key to unlock the computer.  That's something I didn't do.  I just had a full screen and no control whatsoever....like it's supposed to.  

Every time you want to lock a PC you have to enable the software.  Hopefully it doesn't come on again unless I want it to.  Man, I could really screw someone else's computer up with this thing.

Thanks for the help.  Things seem normal again.  That'll teach me to click on things just to see what they do. :shock:  

It sure is handy to have two computers...one to screw up and the other to try to figure out how to unscrew up.  That old windows 98 backup machine has saved the day again. 8)
George