Oh no!

Started by 48builder, December 22, 2005, 08:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I just found out that my local sheet metal shop is closing at the end of the year. I have bought a lot of sheet steel and aluminum there over the years, and they have bent up more than a few boxes, brackets, etc for me. Carrier A/C company was their largest account, and Carrier moved most of their production to North Carolina, so the sheet metal shop is closing. They are having an auction to get rid of all of the equipment after the first of the year. I may try to go and see what I can pick up.

I now have a dilemma. I was going to have them bend up the form for my new dash, and make me a license plate box. My wife also wants a shiny firewall, and I figured when I was ready I'd have them cut me a cover out of aluminum or stainless that I could just bolt on top of the existing firewall. I may still try to get my patterns made by next week and have them do it, but here's a couple questions.

In case I don't get to it, does anybody sell pre-made license boxes?

What gauge should I use for a dash? I'm just going to have them roll the steel, and I will weld it to the outside of the original so I still have the original mounting points. I'm thinking 18 or 20 gauge should be plenty stout. I don't want it to be too heavy. Once I have the bare rolled section, I will then make my openings for gauges, vents, etc.

Would a firewall be better from aluminum or stainless? I know there is a special kind of stainless that polishes easier, but what about aluminum? It would be easier to work with, but I'm concerned about durability and ease of polishing. Is there a special kind of aluminum I should ask for?

Thanks for any ideas.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

If it was me, I would use 18 ga for the dash. On the firewall, I think 6061 aluminum about  .090 or .120 should be about right.

I think there are some licence boxes out there, but it's not hard to make one yourself if you want to. I think Hagan makes a couple different styles.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I used 16ga for the studebaker dash, it was a little tough to work with, but came out fine in the end.  I rolled it over exhaust tubing and then trimed it with an air operated shear I friend had.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

48builder

I'll probably do this one as well. I'll check on the aluminum and see what they have. That will be easier for me to cut and drill than stainless.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

I believe Good Times in Arkansas city sells boxes.
TEAM SMART