Wire terminals

Started by enjenjo, March 19, 2005, 01:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello!
When it came to doing electric hook ups and wiring in cars, I finally got so frustrated that I completely went crazy! I bought a tool box just for car electric, supplied it with every kind and size of wire, every kind and size of strippers, crimpers, and cutters. Then I added anything and everything I thought I might need for any kind of wiring install, including: tie wraps of various sizes and colors, and I am always buying additions to put in this tool box.
I must say that buying specialized tools. components, and accessories to do auto wiring and repair has made several jobs I've done on my cars as well as friend's cars really easy and turned out much better! I even went as far as to ad testing equipment to this "electronic" tool box.
When I need soldering done, I give it to my wife, she is certified in soldering and makes specializes assemblies for aircraft and military use.
Theres nothing like having all the right tools and supplies to do any kind of job!!!

Bruce

48builder

I'll be doing a bit of rework on my harness, and I want it to work right every time. I would assume that the crimp kit Skip is recommending will work on the GM terminals I need to replace? I have to find them first. I went to NAPA and couldn't score them there. I will try the Chevy dealer next. I may check to see if Rhode Island wire has them. They have a good selection of stuff.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Skip

oh, yea.  You can buy a hundred for what you'd pay for ten at NAPA
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

enjenjo

http://www.electerm.com/packard.html

these may be what you need too. follow the links to other GM terminals.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

how is the quality of the terminals that come in the kits i.e. ron francis, centech, painless?

thanks jim

ps enjenjo check your link
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Skip

Quote from: "river1"how is the quality of the terminals that come in the kits i.e. ron francis, centech, painless?

thanks jim

ps enjenjo check your link

All three of those you mentioned have good quality crimps.  Ron Francis, however, puts far too many joints in many of teyh circuits.  Every joint cuts down on the capacity of the circuit to adequately conduct electricity.

American Autowire's kits are good, too.

You'll most likely notice that these are all priced a bit higher than the others.  There's a reason for it.  Quality costs money.  Outsourced manufacturing may be good for some things but it certainly hasn't proved very good in teh aftermarket harness indstry.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

river1

thanks skip

i figure on using a centech and just named the rest off the top of my head.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"the rest off the top of my head.

later jim

:arrow:   :lol:   :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)