Another question to go along with enjenjo's terminal post

Started by 48builder, December 18, 2005, 01:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My '48 has a few more power features than the Z28 harness donor. The moonroof, rear power windows, and power antennae. For the moonroof I am using the fused power source that went to the defogger. It also goes to the power seat. It is a 30 amp fuse number 5 wire. I'm not sure what the number 5 mean in my factory diagrams, but I would say it is at least 12 gauge if not 10.

Anyway, I was thinking about using this same source for the rear windows and the antennae. My thought is that I wouldn't be using all those things at the same time, and 30 amps should handle a couple of them if I did turn off the radio at the same time I was opening a rear window.  I do have another power source I can use, I am just trying to eliminate some of the bulk in the harness coming into the car.

If I can use it for all, what is the best way to connect all of them? Should I use some type of bus bar, a fuse block, or can I use splice connectors at the point where I need to branch from the main line?

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

When you are doing something like this, where the circuit is fused at a much higher amperage than is needed for some of the circuits, it's better to use an auxillary fuse panel to protect each circuit. That would be a good place for your junction.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

do have another preferred supplier for that sort of thing.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

'39 Chevy driver