Late model Question S-10

Started by Land Yacht, December 13, 2005, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

Im trying to replace the front hub assembly on a 1999 chevy S-10 4wd truck.  There is a rubber o-ring that goes on a step on the hub that fits into the steering knuckle. I'm having a hard time getting the hub to fully seat in the steering knuckle, I think the o-ring is the problem, like it won't compress enough or it is too thick. The o-ring is being re-used from the original, the new hub did not come with one.  New hub is made by SKF if it matters.  Question is, did they quit using the o-ring at some point, and leave it out of the design, or does it still need to be there? Seems like theres not enough room for it in there.

Thanks,  John
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Land Yacht

Think I'll try the dealer for a new o-ring. Old one seems fine but who knows...stuff like this drives me nuts.

enjenjo

Does the step on the new one measure in the same location as the old one? Did you use any kind of lube on the O ring?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Land Yacht

Mr Enjenjo,
 The location of the step is at the same distance from the mating surface of the flange as the old one. I used wheel bearing grease on it. I did not measure the diameters on the step, that may be different between the two parts. I have it torqued to  spec, and  it won't fully seat, just a bad fit.

I went to the dealer and got a new o-ring, and a complete hub assembly just for the heck of it. The GM hub  appears to be exactly like the Napa one, same markings etc, I think they are same manufacturer. But it included an o-ring that is noticeably smaller.  Since I've already scratched up the Napa hub I will go ahead and use it but with the smaller o ring from the GM hub. Return the GM hub to Napa in thier box.  Its sneaky but  the hubs look identical.

Land Yacht

Bent the mounting bolts trying to get the hub to fit with the original  seal. Back to the dealer....

Just as an FYI, starting in the mid 90's and up, 4WD S-10's have short lived front wheel bearings, ball joints. To do the bearings you replace the whole hub, $230 each.