Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

http://www.depereautocenter.com/parts.html

the story goes it was all aquired from a single collector after he passed away
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Charlie Chops 1940

Bob K. will be looking that over tomorrow evening (near Green Bay). I had a chance to go too but decided to not invest a couple hundred in the trip over to look at a collection of parts I can't afford (they are not breaking up the collection).

Bob said he will share his pictures.  Being a long time Chevy muscle guy I can appreciate how rare, and expensive, some of that stuff is. Pretty awesome when you consider that one guy put it all together.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WOW!! There are not a lot of players with the scratch to make that transaction happen if he is set on selling it in one lot! That said,I'm sure there is a huge profit to be made with a little effort! That place looks like "Old Car Guy Heaven" :D  Anyone want to guess what the selling price might be???I am clueless....Like usuall :shock:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

40 Chev Coupe

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to get there this week. Only 50 miles away.

Thanks again

58 Yeoman

I hope the owner was out there every day enjoying all that stuff....otherwise, seems it was all wasted.  I just can't see having all that stuff just for bragging rights, or hoping to do something with it 'some day.'  My ex F-I-L has some neat stuff, though not even a smidgen of what just one of those cars is worth, but he keeps hanging on to it.  He must be around 80 by now, and his son has told him numerous times, that after he dies, he (the son) is going to send it all to the land fill.

Someone on one of the websites has in his signature line something like "if you're not driving it, it's just junk in the garage".  If it's all socked away, and NO ONE is enjoying it, what's the use of having it?  So some rich dude can come in after you're dead, and get it for less than it is really worth?  Lucky him.

Just my opinion, but wouldn't he get more for it if he auctioned it separately?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Charlie Chops 1940

I have read that the current owner bought the lot for somewhere just under a million dollars. Certainly a playground even my most well heeled friends couldn't play in.

As for collecting it and maybe not enjoying it...the guy probably didn't plan on leaving the room at that time. Is there a certain age or accumulation of a certain amount of stuff wherein it is written that a guy has to get rid of his toys? Sounds like an invitation to lay down and die.

I'm sorry but I think that's a buch of sour grapes postulated by jealousy or something.

I had a visitor the other day, a guy who I've known 2/3's of my life, a couple years older than I am that has sold his collection of unfinished 32's and a 45 year collection of flathead speed equipment, quick changes, new buick drums...on and on and on, to a couple guys from Europe. Supposedly will be going in containers in the near future. I asked him why, after all these years and his answer was...well, I could die of a heart attack tomorrow....I'm not getting any younger, ya know?

I was saddened by the answer, from a guy who is healthy, and who has never had any other hobby. I can see, maybe thinning stuff out, but just hanging it up would sure as hell do me in.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I have read that the current owner bought the lot for somewhere just under a million dollars. Certainly a playground even my most well heeled friends couldn't play in.

As for collecting it and maybe not enjoying it...the guy probably didn't plan on leaving the room at that time. Is there a certain age or accumulation of a certain amount of stuff wherein it is written that a guy has to get rid of his toys? Sounds like an invitation to lay down and die.

I'm sorry but I think that's a buch of sour grapes postulated by jealousy or something.

I had a visitor the other day, a guy who I've known 2/3's of my life, a couple years older than I am that has sold his collection of unfinished 32's and a 45 year collection of flathead speed equipment, quick changes, new buick drums...on and on and on, to a couple guys from Europe. Supposedly will be going in containers in the near future. I asked him why, after all these years and his answer was...well, I could die of a heart attack tomorrow....I'm not getting any younger, ya know?

I was saddened by the answer, from a guy who is healthy, and who has never had any other hobby. I can see, maybe thinning stuff out, but just hanging it up would sure as hell do me in.

Charlie

Are you talking about Marty?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

A Hooligan!

Roadstar

I jsut wonder how many other collections like that there are out there. I know of a few here in Detroit.

At a Million bucks though someone is gong to make a heathy profit.

enjenjo

I have a couple friends with the resources that have bought out estate collections. It's unbelieveable what is out there yet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a couple friends with the resources that have bought out estate collections. It's unbelieveable what is out there yet.

I agree, seems like every week something pops up.  A stash of old speed equipment, or a neat old rod.  On another forum a couple months ago a ~20 year old kid had just been given his deceased grandfather's '32 5 window that was in reasonably decent shape for an old stocker.  Of course I don't hear about these things until the deal is done. :cry:

I think we'll be seeing a steady stream of stuff similar to this.  It's that age thing Charlie was talking about.  Mostly, the one's I've seen are the old guy getting ill and realizing he can't do anything like he used to, or the widow having to figure out what to do with "all this junk".  Any of you that are/have been around a Ford V8 club know the core membership is guys in their 70/80's.  More and more of their stuff is hitting the market.  Great for us rodders who want a decent car to start with.  Next wave will be us early boomers (thinking 10-20 years out).  Probably gonna be a lot of rods flooding the market (over a relatively short period of time, not all at once) then.  Those younger guys who are interested in "our kind of cars" will be able to be very selective.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

slocrow

WOW! Just a ton of C1, C2 & early C3 Corvette specific parts, along with a bunch of Chevy high performance stuff. There's parts there that I haven't seen in 40 or more years
I'll bet that this lot goes too one of the Corvette boys like Pro Team. Can you imagine the numbers of correct high HP cars that can be made from that inventory.
The only thing in question is if the Corvette market has reached a plateau.
Keep a eye on e-bay for parts.
Maybe Bob will by the whole thing for himself, for Christmas......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

sirstude

I have a friend here in that boat.  He has been looking at his collection and figured out what he is looking at to just get the top 30 done.  He figures, on the cheap, each one is going to be 20k, so that is well over a half a mil.  Then he say, figure 5 years for each one, and with his record, probably 10 years, he will be a young 350 years old by then.  I am trying to get him set up to post pictures and such.  He is the guy I bought my 34 Vicky from.  Sitting right next to it in the garage is an all steel, not chopped, or filled. 32 Ford sedan with a street rod chassis.

The cars he is working on right now (I guess you could  call it working, something only seems to get done when I show up to help), are a Wescott 32 3 window hiboy, reall LT1 with Moon 6x2 injection, Dagle Chassis  A 31 Model A pickup that was his dads, 302 Ford, and TCI Chassis,  62 Impala SS with a Steve Carbone 327(400 + hp).  These are the ones in the shop.  He just sold a really nice original 34 Ford PU.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

kb426

I believe that's the stuff that old cars weekly has had articles about for the last couple of weeks. I think there was 25 containers full.
TEAM SMART