Interesting

Started by rumrumm, December 05, 2005, 05:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

Check  this out:

www.rodmotion.com

Perfect for the man with no building skills and a fat checking account.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

EMSjunkie

Interesting indeed........... :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Real fat account  :lol:

I didn't think the price was too bad, i was expecting much higher. But still WAY out of my league!!!! Heck those new duece bodies with the panel that opens to hide the top are half that price just for a body! Then again building them is half the fun, at least, right!  :D

Rayvyn

Quote from: "rumrumm"Check  this out:

www.rodmotion.com

Sounds like a Street Beast type of promotion. The headquarters are in Cali, but the car is built in South Africa?
The first thing I would do is call them and ask if they honor a 3 day attorney review clause for the contract, so you could get your money back if you wanted to cancel. If they don't, they are bogus.
At least with Streetbeast (aka Classic motor Carriages) you could travel to Florida to wring someone's neck if there was something wrong. Who's going to travel to South Africa to check on their car? Streetbeast/CMC was also one of the mass producers of Cobra frames and bodies for awhile.
Something sounds fishy to me.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "rumrumm"Check  this out:

www.rodmotion.com

you could travel to Florida to wring someone's neck if there was something wrong.  .

I have wanted to do just that since buying one. :evil:

only problem is.....I wouldn't know who to start with  :?

but all in all, it turned out pretty good.  :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Ralph

Isn't Speedway's Deuce roadster built in South Africa? It's the same sort of deal - a finished 32 roadster less engine & trans' set up for a smallblock chev. $48,900 I think, in red only with a tan interior. I sat in one in Minneapolis. Nicely finished car. This one sounds interesting, but like the Speedway car, it probably comes without wipers, defrosters and other such stuff that we'd need to license it here. I'll look forward to seeing one in the flesh. What did you guys think of Speedway's car?
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

34ford

Intro price of 44,000 doesn't seen bad compared to Speedway which is steel.

This is in the FaQ section,
QuoteQ: What kind of brakes does it have?
A: Four wheel disk brakes. The front calipers are Wilwood. The brakes are bled and operational.

Four wheel disc but only Wilwood on the front?? Seems strange to me.

Uncle Bob

Yes, Superformance builds the Speedway car too.

For those unfamiliar with the Cobra replica world, the Superformance is very highly regarded and, of the glass bodied variety, they hold their resale value very well because of the perceived quality.  Their market is just as guessed above, the guy with limited skills/time/patience, whichever, who wants a reliable car to be proud of that others won't disdain.  I don't know the outfit marketing this piece, so can't speak to their business ethics, but the hardware should be a VERY far cry from Streetbeast/CMC.

That being said, I'd still want to see one first if I were in that market.  I'm particularly curious about two things listed.  "Two six volt optima batteries"?  Surely hooked in series, but why?  Maybe it has to do with how the "Vari-height" suspension is powered. With some of the small and capable dry cell alternatives it wouldn't make sense from a space saving perspective.  And what about "Polished aluminum twin-beam front axle"?  With the pinched front it looks like it might have to be similar to the Fatman setup, but in aluminum.  Personally I'm suspicious of roll center issues on that design, but the proof would be in the driving.  Flaming River is releasing a twin I beam front end, but it's tubular steel and the fixed ends are on opposing rails similar to the Ford truck design.

More signs of the hot rod market maturing I guess.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.