Price Per Gallon - Paint That Is.

Started by Grandadeo, December 06, 2005, 11:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Finally picked a color for the '48 Panel and went to see how much it was going to cost.  Ouch! $352 per gallon for PPG Basecoat.  I'll need two gallons for that big barn plus two gallons of clear, so says the bodyshop guy.  So that puts me around a grand plus for paint and related materials.  Does anyone know of an on-line paint supply place that could bring the cost down a tad.  The paint store has an "economy" brand but I hate to cut corners now after all the that has gone into the ol truck.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Finally picked a color for the '48 Panel and went to see how much it was going to cost.  Ouch! $352 per gallon for PPG Basecoat.  I'll need two gallons for that big barn plus two gallons of clear, so says the bodyshop guy.  So that puts me around a grand plus for paint and related materials.  Does anyone know of an on-line paint supply place that could bring the cost down a tad.  The paint store has an "economy" brand but I hate to cut corners now after all the that has gone into the ol truck.

Lee

A few years ago, when I was still doing a lot of painting, I had a body shop mix paint for me to save some money.  The shop that did my mixing used the same brand that the parts store sold and they were able to mix and sell it to me a little cheaper.   I had more confidence in them than the minimum wage person at the parts store too.  I got free technical advise while I was waiting.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

ponchoguy

1 gallon of paint will become 2 once it is reduced. used 1 gallon to paint my 67 goat and still had a quart of paint left. good luck.
Ed.

Kctom

Lok into Valspar paint. I used it on the 38 Ford coupe. Won a few for best paint a car shows. It is a ppg product. Bought it online from a wholesale pait Co. in washington. Do a search on Valspar and lok for at wholesale.

kb426

Depending on what color you picked, I may have a solution. Smartshoppersinc.com. They sell HOK at discount and Kirker automotive.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "Kctom1"Lok into Valspar paint. I used it on the 38 Ford coupe. Won a few for best paint a car shows. It is a ppg product. Bought it online from a wholesale pait Co. in washington. Do a search on Valspar and lok for at wholesale.

There was sumpin about that color too :lol:  I used ppg or the painters did and if i remember right with thier discount it was dam near 500 bucks a gallon and that was 3 years ago now? maybe 2 hell im gettin old and i forgets. You can figure about a 20 percent price hike each year. I bought a pint for some small stuff I wanted to paint this spring and it was 88 bucks for a pint of prowler orange :(
Dave
ps: im just gonna cover the nicks and scratches with orange felt. (see window felt post) :lol:

Kctom

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Kctom1"Lok into Valspar paint. I used it on the 38 Ford coupe. Won a few for best paint a car shows. It is a ppg product. Bought it online from a wholesale pait Co. in washington. Do a search on Valspar and lok for at wholesale.

There was sumpin about that color too :lol:  I used ppg or the painters did and if i remember right with thier discount it was dam near 500 bucks a gallon and that was 3 years ago now? maybe 2 hell im gettin old and i forgets. You can figure about a 20 percent price hike each year. I bought a pint for some small stuff I wanted to paint this spring and it was 88 bucks for a pint of prowler orange :(
Dave
ps: im just gonna cover the nicks and scratches with orange felt. (see window felt post) :lol:
The place I got mine from in wash. sold it to me for $325.00 a gallon. As you know when mixed it gives you 2 Gallons of paint. If you use House of kolors stuff you only get 1 1/2 gallons of mixed.

MrMopar64

When I bought the paint for my Rambler I got the best price from these guys and the shipping is free after you spend $250
http://www.autobodydepot.net

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Kctom

Quote from: "MrMopar64"When I bought the paint for my Rambler I got the best price from these guys and the shipping is free after you spend $250
http://www.autobodydepot.net

MM64  8)

Yes theyare good on price. Got the paint for the 30 Pontiac from them. Good price on house of kolar, fast shipping. And they paid shipping