VDO elec. speedo

Started by Kctom, March 18, 2004, 10:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Was trying to figure out how to hook up a VDO speedo to my chevy 700 r-4 tranny. So gave VDO tech a call. Told him there are 2 wires comming from the factory trans. You think someone else has asked this question looking for a answer from the tech guy. well his answer was i don't know Next car will have Auto-Meter stuff.
TOM

Bib_Overalls

My AutoMeter was a snap to set up.  As I recall one sender wire goes to the speedo and one goes to ground.  The push button for setting the speedo is wired to two terminals on the back.  Depending on the type of sender you have there are two ways to wire up.  The AutoMeter instructions were clear as a bell.  And calibration was a snap.  Don't know nothing about VDO but I am told they are similar and also easy to calibrate.  Ask VDO to  send you their instructions or see if you can copy at a shop that sells VDO.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

The 700R4 sender might not be compatible with the VDO guage, I know it is not compatible with a Classic guage. The pulses per mile don't really matter, that can be taken care of in calibrating, the GM sender puts out a square wave pulse that the Classic speedo can't accept.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Kctom

Quote from: "Kctom1"Was trying to figure out how to hook up a VDO speedo to my chevy 700 r-4 tranny. So gave VDO tech a call. Told him there are 2 wires comming from the factory trans. You think someone else has asked this question looking for a answer from the tech guy. well his answer was i don't know Next car will have Auto-Meter stuff.
TOM

Ok anyone that wants to use vdo speedo write this down. The purple wire goes to pin 7, which is ground. The yellow wire goes to pin 8. If you plan to use a tach with C-D type multi spark ing. you must put a diode as close to the tach as possible the diode # is IN4005 with the cathode end pointing toward the tach. Found a guy who knows his stuff at VDO. I made at least 50 phone calls to them ,line was busy. Got in this morning. Write this down also
VDO phone # is. 1-610--2891390  ext. 4018 will get you the MAN!!!!!!!!