Fan Temp Switch

Started by tom36, November 17, 2005, 12:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom36

I'm into wiring the '36, and did a search on fan Temperature switches, and came up with This post from Wzjunk in May.
Check this information and the specification when you go to the parts store. chrysler # 520923 or Standard brand # GS87 I think they have 1/2" NPT
I went to my "old" parts store and a search of the computer had neither part # and the Standard book didn't list the standard #.  Anyone got another # or a vehicle specific application?  
I plan on putting the sensor in the left head.  Thanks, Tom..

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "tom36"I'm into wiring the '36, and did a search on fan Temperature switches, and came up with This post from Wzjunk in May.
Check this information and the specification when you go to the parts store. chrysler # 520923 or Standard brand # GS87 I think they have 1/2" NPT
I went to my "old" parts store and a search of the computer had neither part # and the Standard book didn't list the standard #.  Anyone got another # or a vehicle specific application?  
I plan on putting the sensor in the left head.  Thanks, Tom..

A lot of parts books will give you thread size and the temperature that the sender will turn on.  The ones I have used were for a Chrysler mini van and I think they are set to go at 185 F.  Sometimes they have one lug and sometimes two.  If it has two lugs, you will need to run one of them to ground.  The other wire will go to the ground side of your relay to trigger the relay for the fan.  If you are running air conditioning you will need another fan relay to turn the fan on when the air is on.  If I can help, just ask.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Jokester

GS87 doesn't look like a Standard #.  Might be a GP Sorenson, I'm not sure.  I can check it out for you tomorrow.  I tried the Chrysler 520923 in our interchange and it didn't come up either.  (www.smpcorp.com  There's an oe lookup function there)

Are you wanting 1/2" pipe thread?  What temp do you want it to switch at?

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

tom36

Quote from: "Jokester"GS87 doesn't look like a Standard #.  Might be a GP Sorenson, I'm not sure.  I can check it out for you tomorrow.  I tried the Chrysler 520923 in our interchange and it didn't come up either.  (www.smpcorp.com  There's an oe lookup function there)

Are you wanting 1/2" pipe thread?  What temp do you want it to switch at?

.bjb

I would like it to switch on at around 190 and 1/2 inch pipe would be good. I've got some old parts books I'm going to check tonight.  Thanks to you and wz junk for the help.  Tom..

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "tom36"
I would like it to switch on at around 190 and 1/2 inch pipe would be good.

A 1998 Napa/Echlin catalog shows a # FS121 Coolant Fan Switch having two male spade terminals and 1/2"-14 pipe thread.  ..... On at 189-196 degrees, off at 166-178 degrees.  

The switch is listed for various Mopars 1982-1985, but does not give specific applications.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tom36

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "tom36"
I would like it to switch on at around 190 and 1/2 inch pipe would be good.

A 1998 Napa/Echlin catalog shows a # FS121 Coolant Fan Switch having two male spade terminals and 1/2"-14 pipe thread.  ..... On at 189-196 degrees, off at 166-178 degrees.  

The switch is listed for various Mopars 1982-1985, but does not give specific applications.

Thanks Bruce, I called the local NAPA  store and they didn't have it in stock but it will be in first thing Monday.  Thanks aagain, Tom..