Paint Stripper

Started by parklane, November 06, 2005, 11:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Anyone know of a product that is cheap enough you can make/buy that will strip auto paint?? Thinking of a container large enough to hold fenders, doors etc., so probabley need 30 -50 gal :shock:

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

Years ago, we used to use methylene chloride, the active ingredient in commercial paint stripper. It is some nasty stuff, and I don't even know if you can buy it any more. Another thing that works is Oakite, a caustic cleaner that you mix with water. causic soda mixed with methanol will do it too.

All theses are really nasty to work with, safety glasses and heavy rubber glove type protection. You do not want it on your skin. and the sludge is hazardous material for disposal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

When Methlene Chloride gets into your bloodstream,
the body metabolizes it into Carbon Monoxide. :shock:  :!:

kb426

Take the parts to your engine rebuilder if he's willing and throw them in the engine vat. My friend does large engines like cummins truck engines. Fenders were no problem. He uses toxic acid that you wouldn't want to have to dispose of when you're done.
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Have you considered taking the parts or the car to be bead blasted? We have Master Blaster here in Orlando. He can strip the paint off a car with the windows and trim still in it. He also can be to the point of taking old body work off or leaving it. Cost for a whole car is around $500.00 which includes an after blast prep to prevent rust.
Don't know if you know it, but I think the stuff they use is some kind of ground nut shells (I think).
It seems to me that this would be a better and much safer way to get to your goal. If the cost is too high consider what it might cost for a trip to the hospital for some kind of poisoning!

Bruce

rumrumm

I would opt for the walnut shell or plastic media blasting. Another option would be to have them dipped by a professional stripper (not that kind!) to remove all paint and rust.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com