buyer beware

Started by river1, October 31, 2005, 04:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

I've wanted a shrinker/ stretcher for some time now. there are alot of discussions on the net about them. in all them they say that only one place makes them, Lancaster, and they are made in the USA. well i just received a set from Woodward Fab in Mich that is made in china :shock:  . i will be sending them back ASAP and paying a bit more for made in the USA.  i have nothing bad to say about Woodward Fab they shipped quick and were friendly on the phone when i called them about the china label. they also were quick to tell me if i wasn't happy to send it back.

if made in the USA matters to you make sure you double check before you buy.

later Jim

http://woodwardfab.com/sheet_metal_fabricating_tools.htm
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

unklian

It was just a matter of time before this happened. :roll:

Maybe they will post this info on their page,
for those who would be interested.

soldermonkey

I was not pleased to find that the "Timkin" rear axel bearings I bought for my Ford 9 inch were made in China.
I know that for the most part bearings made in Japan are of good quality and Japan is at least an ally but I question the quality of most Chinese products and especially a precision product. I am concerned about the metallurgy. I had purposely bought Timkin because of past use and reputation for quality. I have not decided if I will use these bearings or return them. Also the Timkin seals are made in Indonesia.

Oh well.

dave

Leon

The bad part is, what choice do you have?  The next bearing will probably be the same.  It's about time we quit giving our technology to other countries so they can hold us hostage.

enjenjo

FWIW, if they have Timken etched into the bearing, they are made to Timken standards in a Timken plant. If it's a Timken box, but no etched name on the bearing, or another brand name, they may be counterfeit. Timken bearings are made all over the world, and have been for many years.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "river1"I've wanted a shrinker/ stretcher for some time now. there are alot of discussions on the net about them. in all them they say that only one place makes them, Lancaster, and they are made in the USA. well i just received a set from Woodward Fab in Mich that is made in china :shock:  . i will be sending them back ASAP and paying a bit more for made in the USA.  i have nothing bad to say about Woodward Fab they shipped quick and were friendly on the phone when i called them about the china label. they also were quick to tell me if i wasn't happy to send it back.

if made in the USA matters to you make sure you double check before you buy.

later Jim

http://woodwardfab.com/sheet_metal_fabricating_tools.htm

Are you saying it is branded 'Lancaster' but is actually a sub-standard copy; or is it just because it is made in China?

BTW, Checked you shirt labels lately?

river1

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"

Are you saying it is branded 'Lancaster' but is actually a sub-standard copy; or is it just because it is made in China?

Lancaster was the only maker of them till now. now they are also made in china, maybe by Lancaster. i ordered another today after calling to see where it's made, it cost $30 more. 15% for made in USA, I'll pay it. i believe that i make my money in the USA i think i should if at all possible spend it in the USA. my second choice is to spend it in another industrialized nation that doesn't use slave labor (or close to it) to produce my stuff. unfortunately that is getting harder and harder to do.

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"BTW, Checked you shirt labels lately?

actually i shop around, where possible, for most everything i buy so most items in my closet are USA produced.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Pope Downunder

Jim, I admire your principles; pity more people don't do the same.  

I read somewhere the amount of manufacturing that has moved offshore (mainly to China) in the last 5 years; it was absolutely staggering.

Our government is hell-bent on negotiating a 'free-trade' agreement with China, and it scares me.  After all, China does not 'float' it's currency on the international currency market, and the workers and human rights are vastly different to here.  So, we can never hope to compete with them in manufacturing.  All that leaves is our primary resources and itellectual property to be sucked dry.  So, in the short term this model may be attractive, but where does it leave us long-term.

Land Yacht

Outsourcing... I don't like it either.  I picture the CEO's making such decisions to move manufacturing offshore with no conscience. Why should I thank them by buying from them?
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been told if there is a choice , the made in japan bearings are better than the made in china bearings.....

I have no idea if that is true
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Sean

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Pope Downunder"BTW, Checked you shirt labels lately?

actually i shop around, where possible, for most everything i buy so most items in my closet are USA produced.

I have been running into that problem with Carhartt clothing. A while back, you could dig through the piles of Pants and Shirts at the store and pick out the ones that were made in the USA. Last few times I tried that, every single pair were foriegn made.

I have switched to Pointer Brand jeans now. Made in the USA and excellent quality http://www.pointerbrand.com/