Chinese Auto Parts and Other Rants OT?

Started by soldermonkey, November 03, 2005, 11:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldermonkey

I had originally Hijacked River1s post and thought it best to start another.

In my earlier post on Jim's thread (Sorry about that Jim) I had voiced my concern about some "Timken" brand bearings I had purchased for my Ford 9 inch diff.
Enjenjo had responded that I should look for the Timken etching on the race, well there is only the word China on the seals and the only place Timken shows up is on the box. That is what I get for buying something from A _ _ _ _  Zone. NAPA was not able to get the Timken or any other major US name and the counter man said his bearings were probably from Japan so I went to A Zone, I will return the Timken Chinese bearings tomorrow and have NAPA order what they can get and see what shows up.
I really prefer going to the traditional auto parts stores because they know how to leave the computer and go to the catalogs and will try to find any thing I need.
I am tired of the young snots that were born after my newest set of wheels were built try to tell me what I need in auto parts. Most of them can barely read and fewer can make change even with the help of the cash register, Lord only knows what would happen if the power went down.
I will let you know what bearings I end up with.

Sorry about the soap box, but man the inferior parts get old.

dave

river1

Quote from: "soldermonkey"I had originally Hijacked River1s post and thought it best to start another.

In my earlier post on Jim's thread (Sorry about that Jim)

no problem this is why i posted it. tangents that some posts go off on usually have better info in them then the simple and quick posts.

Quote from: "soldermonkey"I had voiced my concern about some "Timken" brand bearings I had purchased for my Ford 9 inch diff.
Enjenjo had responded that I should look for the Timken etching on the race, well there is only the word China on the seals and the only place Timken shows up is on the box. That is what I get for buying something from A _ _ _ _  Zone. NAPA was not able to get the Timken or any other major US name and the counter man said his bearings were probably from Japan so I went to A Zone, I will return the Timken Chinese bearings tomorrow and have NAPA order what they can get and see what shows up.
I really prefer going to the traditional auto parts stores because they know how to leave the computer and go to the catalogs and will try to find any thing I need.
I am tired of the young snots that were born after my newest set of wheels were built try to tell me what I need in auto parts. Most of them can barely read and fewer can make change even with the help of the cash register, Lord only knows what would happen if the power went down.
I will let you know what bearings I end up with.

see i'd have bought a timken bearing and not given it a second thought, now i know to check them as to country of origin.

Quote from: "soldermonkey"Sorry about the soap box, but man the inferior parts get old.
dave

unfortunately inferior parts usually fail before they get old.

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rx4ord

Funny thing happened to me. I bought some 32 Ford hubcaps brand new from a dealer in the States. The box says licensed genuine Ford parts. Box says manufactured in Taiwan. Bloody nice stainless caps exactly the same as original but they would have been very cheap to make in Taiwan. Any one else got a nice set of caps like mine made in the orient that they are using? Dave
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower

phat46

[ I really prefer going to the traditional auto parts stores because they know how to leave the computer and go to the catalogs and will try to find any thing I need.
I am tired of the young snots that were born after my newest set of wheels were built try to tell me what I need in auto parts. Most of them can barely read and fewer can make change even with the help of the cash register, Lord only knows what would happen if the power went down.dave[/quote]

We have only two part places in town now that actually have a car guy behind the counter and one of these is across the road from a Murrays and an Auto Zone, so it's probably not long for this world even if I give them 99% of my business. When i was having trouble with an external voltage reg. I asked the kids at A Z (it was a Sunday)  if they had a mechanical regulator instead of the solid state ones I had been trying....they were clueless and the computer didn't go back far enough to find an "application" for a mechanical regulator...thanks to Frank I did get the solid state one to work.

unklian

Trust is a fragile commodity.
We used to be able to trust certain brand names,
certain retailers,certain manufacturers.

But that has been sold out from under us in the name of "lower costs".

What happened to all products being labeled with country of origin ?
What happened to BUY AMERICAN ? :?:  :idea:

tomslik

Quote from: "unklian"
What happened to all products being labeled with country of origin ?
What happened to BUY AMERICAN ? :?:  :idea:

you can't buy it if it isn't made here... :cry:
and you can't afford it if it is...  :evil:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

unklian

Ever see the movie Catch 22 ?

People who made their money here,
invested the Mutual Fund dollars overseas,
to fund their manufacturing build up. :evil:

Wait until they start outsourcing all the
Paper Shuffler and Bean Counters jobs.
Then it will be the dishonest Executives,and finally,Politicians.