I got a new ride, too

Started by 32 Chevy, October 26, 2005, 01:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

This one is really due to my wife's prodding...she has wanted one of these ever since she was in Junior High. This '56  ride is powered by a 283 with 1:1 final drive ratio, goes like a scalded cat and banks around turns like it's flying. We got it from the second owner whop purchased it from the first owner's estate. Always garage kept, she is in wonderful condition.

Naturally the first tinmeg I'm going to do is tear it down to the very bottom and rebuild it with new Honduras Mahogany sealed wiht fluid epoxy and bedded with 3m5200 adhesive sealant.

So what an i taking about? Take a look!

Dave R.

river1

sweet i likey :!:  :!:  :!:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Dennis the Menace

Boat: A hole in the water to pour your money into. Looks good Have fun with it.
Dennis
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Ohio Blue Tip

Those boats are fun :D , used to have a 19 footer similar to that with a 1949 Olds V8.  They demand just as much money as a hot rod :cry: .  Enjoy.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Nothing glides thru the water like an old wood boat! I want an old Chris Craft Mohagany Boat Soooooo Bad! Every year at the Iowa Great Lakes they have a boat parade.....Tons of old beautifull wood boats....that day,the lake goes up a couple of inches from my drool :) Good luck and have fun....Restoring it will be a great Winter project!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

32 Chevy

Man, I just read what I wrote late last night. Next time, remind me to proofread myself before hitting the 'submit' key. I sure made myself sound like a dummy... And frank is nice enough to give us a free spellchecker, too!

Dave

enjenjo

I just figured you were drunk :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sounds like it could be fun.

I would prefer the boat to be on land though.

:wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

MikeC

Quote from: "32 Chevy"
Naturally the first tinmeg I'm going to do is tear it down to the very bottom and rebuild it with new Honduras Mahogany sealed wiht fluid epoxy and bedded with 3m5200 adhesive sealant.

Dave R.

Just so you know, you can not buy "Honduras Mahogany" any more in the USA.  it is banned by CITIES.  It is an environmental thing.  The closest you can get is African Mahogany.  I don't know if it will  affect the value by swapping.  The african actually might be what was originally installed back when it was built.  You might want to check.  Also there are a lot of dealers selling substitute species without saying a word about the swap.
MikeC

Sean

A friend of mine has a '69 Century Resorter. Hull is Fiberglass, but everything on top is Mahogany. His has a Ford 390 for motivation.

He just bought a '68 Century Cabin Cruiser to go along with it. I don't remember which model it is, but its a 30 footer, and the previous owner put a new 502 crate motor in it.

32 Chevy

Quote from: "MikeC"
Quote from: "32 Chevy"

Dave R.

Just so you know, you can not buy "Honduras Mahogany" any more in the USA.  it is banned by CITIES.  It is an environmental thing.  The closest you can get is African Mahogany.  I don't know if it will  affect the value by swapping.  The african actually might be what was originally installed back when it was built.  You might want to check.  Also there are a lot of dealers selling substitute species without saying a word about the swap..

MikeC
Mike, You can absolutely get honduras mahogany. It is plantation grown.. I know because my business is building and restoring boats (www.ghboats.com) and I purchase Hounduras mahogany all the time. The supply is limited so sometimes have I a dificult time and have to pay premium for long lengths 18' and over, but I can get it. I just ordered some today, as a matter of fact.

The original Chris Craft Sportsman runabouts used Philippine so-called-mahogany whereas Cantury used the harder varieties.

Dave