Please Help Identify!

Started by 40, October 24, 2005, 11:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is an accessory grill/bumper guard that I purchased for the wife's 55 Hardtop.I had one heck of a time finding one and after receiving it,find that it's not for a 55.It appears to be the right piece...However,the distance from mounting stud to stud is 23" and it needs to be 32" to fit a 55.No part # anywhere.The fellow I purchased it from is willing to resell it and then refund my money...problem being we need to identify it in order for him to resell it.Any ideas??It could possibly be from an earlier Chevy...say 49 thru 52 or 53/54???By the way....Still looking for the correct one for her car......THANKS!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

rooster

toledobill

Right -- it looks like you have the optional 1955 Chevrolet GRILLE guard.  The bumper guards were standard, and the station wagon's were only different in the rear (to allow for the license pate being mounted on the bumper instead of the trunk lid).

The grille guard rode above the two bumper guards in front of the grille.
More than one custom in the 1950s used the '55 grille guard as their only grille bar.

Nice piece.

As I said....It looks like the correct piece....However.....It is too narrow,by about 9".I had a very high point 55 Hardtop which I eventually sold to a local buddy of mine...It has the original grill guard....as I said,it measures 32" stud to stud.This one is 23".It is a very nice piece.....Just wish it would fit :roll:  That particular accessory piece has been out of production for some time....I paid pretty good money for this NOS piece....whatever it fits!The fellow I bought it from will refund my purchase price IF he can identify and re-sell this one.

toledobill

Sorry -- with all the talk about BUMPER guards and station wagons, I thought I could shed some light about what a grille guard was.  

I too had a high-point (as in 100) '55 convertible when it was on the showroom floor in 1955.  By 1957 I'd nosed it, shaved the trunk, and put a station wagon center piece into the rear bumper.

Sorry if I offended you.

No apology needed and no offence taken.I certainly welcome all comments and suggestions and really appreciate the help I receive from the RRT'rs! I bought this piece sight unseen from a photograph....in the photo,it appeared to be the correct piece.It wasn't untill after I received it that I realized it was too narrow.I was just saying that I used my old car as a referance to find the correct measurement and that I assume it to be correct as it was a high point restoration.My fingers don't always correctly type what my little brain is thinking  :)