Gas mileage

Started by Slick 50, October 25, 2005, 05:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick 50

Yesterday I was told that if I add about 4 oz of acetone per 10 gal of gasoline that it will improve gas mileage due to better combustion of the mixture.

Is this a snake oil approach? What harmful effects might it have on an engine, either fuel injected or carbureted?

This info was found from a "reliable source", the internet, and the fellow who told me says it seems to work.

Any comments?
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

rumrumm

Acetone is pretty corrosive on rubber and plastic. I would find that a concern. I have a recipe for high octane gasoline by adding xylene or toulene, but I have never heard of adding acetone. Any chemists here?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Ohio Blue Tip

Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Charlie Chops 1940

Brought to us by the International Acetone Marketers Association.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I'd say you probably need to use some Polish economics on that. How much does 4 oz. cost and where do you have to drive to get it? Now do a little calculating, how many little bottles would you have to add during your next fill-up? Now multiply the cost of that many little bottles by their cost and figure it against how much money you intend to save while driving that tank-full. Now look at some of the possibilities. What will happen to the finish on the car if you spill one of those little bottles trying to hit the gas filler? If it's corrosive it might hurt something it touches, but you'll be able to see that right away and take care of it. If it would happen to eat at the inside of a rubber gas hose, where would that corrosion go? Fuel pump diaghrams, carbs, injectors? Suppose it just ate a little fuel hose apart, like the one somewhere between the electric pump in the gas tank and your FI? I have one "sure fire" way to save gas, I'm going to take a nap. GPster

Ohio Blue Tip

In Muskegon the new company of "C & K Vintage Air" has a special this month.
With every tank of  vintage air we include a free gallon of Acetone for your economic pleasure.
Remember we have bottled air available from 1900 to 1974 in stock.  And for 1932 we also have summer and winter air for the discriminating buyer.

VP of C & K VA
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

lobucrod

A mechanic friend of mine told me that berrymans b-12 was mostly acetone. He said that he buys acetone to use instead of b-12 because by buying by the gallon he saves lots of $

enjenjo

When I have a varnished up tank to clean, I use acetone, it will take it all out. you really want to do that?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I wonder where this acetone into gasoline thing got started?

:arrow:   :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Slick 50

I knew this post would elicit some interesting remarks and I'm pleased to see that Ken is ready to sieze an opportunity.

I'm not really interested in trying this as the petroleum engineers have a bit more knowledge about gasoline formulations than I do, and they've been doing it a bit longer.

I'll get mine from the pumps, no matter how much it hurts sometimes.
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

rumrumm

Gas is now down to $2.39/gal. here in Macomb (who would have thought I would ever be pleased with $2.39/gal. gasoline?). Isn't it odd that the same refineries blamed for the high price of gas during Katrina are still off-line? Hmmmm.
Lynn
'32 3W

tomslik

Quote from: "rumrumm"Gas is now down to $2.39/gal. here in Macomb (who would have thought I would ever be pleased with $2.39/gal. gasoline?). Isn't it odd that the same refineries blamed for the high price of gas during Katrina are still off-line? Hmmmm.

it's been obvious to me that "they" jack the price way up and gradually drop it back to make "us" think we're getting a "deal"
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

BFS57

Hello;
A really good buddy of mine and certified Corvette fanatic had a really nice Corvette w/Big Block motor and he was putting some Lead additive in his tank! He said that his motor ran cooler, smoother, and had increased gas mileage. I know he bought this by the case off EBAY. He claims that it ups the Octane rating and you can adjust that with the amount you ad to the tank of gas.
Remember when gas was 102 Octane?
How about "put a Tiger in your tank"?
Also been reading the net about EXXON's record profit quarter this year. Boasting a 75% profit increase!!

Bruce

rumrumm

Quote from: "BFS57"

Also been reading the net about EXXON's record profit quarter this year. Boasting a 75% profit increase!!

Bruce

I hope the oil companies are proud of themselves, profiting off the backs of the American public. But is seems as if the business ethics of corporate America prevent them from feeling any shame at how their profits were made. Corporate greed has become epidemic, and it is reflected in the unconscionable amount of money their chief executives are paid. I'll shut up before I go on a tirade. I don't want to high-jack this thread into an O/T rant. I'll be positive and look at the bright side--hey, tomorrow is Friday!
Lynn
'32 3W