Threatened again...

Started by Rayvyn, October 19, 2005, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

Hurricane Wilma has gone from a tropical storm to a Category 5 storm in less than 24 hours. It is the most intense and powerful atlantic hurricane in U.S. history, and has sustained winds of 175 mph, with higher gusts.

And it's projected to hit landfall between Tampa and Naples, Fla.

For those not familiar with the Pinellas peninsula where I live in Clearwater, it is predominantly flat, and approx. 20' above sea level in the high spots, and basically an island with limited exit roads. It could be extremely devastating for those folks down in Punta Gorda, who were obliterated last year by hurricane Charley.

You folks up north have to winterize, down here in paradise we get to evacuate. The next 3 days we'll be bringing in every potential flying object from the yards, plywooding the windows, placing axes, water and flashlights in the attic, moving BBQ grills to high ground to we'll have something to cook on when the power goes out, tying garage doors down, and hoping this thing powers down before it gets here. It is so large right now, it will cover the entire state of Florida when it arrives.

Even though it's a couple of days off, everyone here will be busy preparing, so I'll be off this thing until next week. Wish us luck.
My new next door neighbors just moved here from Indiana. They've been here 2 weeks and a hurricane is supposed to hit. They are scared &%#@-less. I just smiled and said "Welcome to Paradise".

Gotta go move an old Dodge into safe storage and button a house up. See ya'll in a few days if the thing actually does come here.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Cword

No wonder Dolly got the heck out of there!

Best of luck to you on getting through this one.

I'm sure glad I'm content to shovel snow.  Snow and cold are pretty boring when compared to the excitement you guys down south have to go through.  I can't imagine myself ever being prepared to go through those experiences with the regularity you do.  

Mike
--

HotRodLadyCrusr

My heart goes out to my Florida pals.  We'll be thinking about you.  Remember, stuff can be replace, YOU need to stay safe.  Please let us know your OK as soon as you can afterwards.  Perhaps calling the Franks and they can put the word out here.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

rumrumm

I have a couple of spare bedrooms if you get desperate. Illinois should be safe enough. That's really tough having to deal with those kinds of huge storms that can wipe out everything you have. Hope all goes well for you down there.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Bryan....Good luck and be safe! We'll say a prayer that it weakens and changes course.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

Let me add the federal gov advice used in an emergency:  RUN!

:arrow:  :arrow:   :wink:   :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Best of luck, we'll be thinking of you.  My sister closed the sale of her house in St Pete 3 days after Charley hit.  All of her belongings were in a 28' semi trailer pup in front of the house when the storm came ashore.  Dad was down there to help and being a lifetime Iowan wasn't real comfortable.  It turned just hours before making landfall to take it through Punta Gorda.  We were all scared for them, not only for their personal safety but also because of the potential for Sis to lose everything with a sale pending on the house.  She got by with a lot of rain, a little rain, and no damage.  May you get the same.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

EMSjunkie

My prayers are with you, Docchevy, and all the others in Florida.
if you wanna come to TX, I'll find someplace to put you.

good luck Bryan, keep your head down.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Hurricane Wilma has gone from a tropical storm to a Category 5 storm in less than 24 hours.
Thats fast  :shock:  And powerful.
QuoteEven though it's a couple of days off, everyone here will be busy preparing, so I'll be off this thing until next week. Wish us luck.
Yeah, good luck.
Never thought I could actually reply to a post without hanging crap on you, but in these times I guess we have to make an exception.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

reborn55

Good Luck to all of you.  sure wouldn't have to go through what you guys go through sown there.

purplepickup

Just another reason to move to Gilbert Arizona......and don't forget to bring a bunch of senior citizens with you.  I hear it's a really nice place to live. :wink:

Seriously Bryan, I sure hope this one misses you and things turn out ok for you.
George

rooster

38fordcoupe is down in the keys now deep sea fishing. hes to be back late tommoro night. Tryed calling him today but no answer.

Crosley.In.AZ

I heard on the radio that the storm has been down graded.  Some expect to hit land as a Cat 2 storm.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr Cool

Hey Rayvyn, did Wilma come and blow you?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.